new hard drive problem

clayton 19:16 11 Sep 04

Ive just installed a new 200gb drive & in my computer the capacity is shown as 127gb,wheres the rest gone ???

cga 19:19 11 Sep 04

What is your OS? You need a minimum of XP SP1

clayton 19:22 11 Sep 04

I have windows xp with sp1.

cga 19:26 11 Sep 04

OK - I guess it is Mobo/ BIOS.

I will leave that to someone else.

Dorsai 19:32 11 Sep 04

there is a max that Xp and the Bios can see. If the HDD is bigger than either, the rest gets 'lost'

If this is that case, partition the new HDD, into say, two 100Gb bits.

click here will explain fdisk, so you can partition, if that is the cause. As you don't say the make of mobo, i can't be sure.

clayton 19:39 11 Sep 04

Thanks for your replys, the mobo is an asus a7n8x-e with the latest bios version.

clayton 19:40 11 Sep 04

Thanks for your replys, the mobo is an asus a7n8x-e with the latest bios version.

Dorsai 20:01 11 Sep 04

I am sure the problem either lies in Xp or the Mobo. But it's not really a prob, just an in built limitation, than can be solved with partitioning. (after all, that is why partitioning was invented)

But all attempts at a search on the web result in links to discussion fourums. And the fourum has since moved on, so the link just get me to the same as the 'help room fourum' main page. but the thread 'max hard disk in xp' is no longer on the main page, as it was when the search engine harvested the page.

clayton 20:17 11 Sep 04

ok thanks all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…