New hard drive not working

Skippy88 15:00 15 Mar 04

Hello, please help I am trying to get a computer working which is a "made up" system so i don't know what the motherboard is. After installing a new 40Gb Hard drive I can't get past "NTLDR is missing" floppy is not working now either! CD Roms not detected. This hard drive does work when installed into another computer and has Win XP Pro loaded. This system also has problems with another hard drive which has Win ME installed it only detects Primary Master and nothing works. Any pointers??

Diodorus Siculus 15:10 15 Mar 04

Can you get into the BIOS? If so, change the boot order to CD first; then boot with the XP CD and do a repair.

To get into BIOS, you should see at startup a message like "press del to enter setup".

R4 15:14 15 Mar 04

Use this to get the info on your mobo/system:- click here

Have you set the bios to 'Auto' for the hard drive, also if it is an older system you may need to use something a HDD utility like EZ drive to be able to see the drive.

Skippy88 16:51 15 Mar 04

Thanks for the reponse. Even when trying to set BIOS to boot from CD nothing works cos it doesn't recognise that ther is a CD Rom. Have tried setting BIOs to Auto and also followed suggestions with new hard drive (Western Digital) to set to LBA but no good.

Diodorus Siculus 16:54 15 Mar 04

Check the cable for the CD - it may not be properly seated. Also check the jumper - ensure that it is slave to the HDD.

Skippy88 17:04 15 Mar 04

Hard disc is set as Primary Master. CD and CD-RW set as Secondary master and slave.

Skippy88 02:41 16 Mar 04

Oops no it isn't. Hard disc set as Primary Master. CD and CD-RW attached to SCSI card.

Diodorus Siculus 08:06 16 Mar 04

Skippy88 - that is why they are not being recongised.

If you have access to an IDE CDROM drive, then install it; otherwise you will need some drivers for the SCSI card to recognise the optical drives at bootup.

Skippy88 10:44 16 Mar 04

I thought that might the case. I still need to get the hard drive recognised though before I can progress. The hard drive has Win XP Pro on it, will XP detect the SCSI card as new hard ware and load drivers for it ???

Diodorus Siculus 11:43 16 Mar 04

You will need drivers for the SCSI card as far as I know; I don't know if XP has native support for SCSI cards.

I think that the investment of less than £30 for a new ide CD-RW drive may be worthwhile if you can go that route.

Skippy88 11:03 17 Mar 04

Ok here's the plan. I am going to install a EIDE CD rom and make it bootable. (the CD and CD-RW are SCSI so useless at the moment) Have only one hard drive, boot to Win XP CD and reformat and install. After that load SCSI and other drivers and then hopefully remove EIDE CD and put his own two CD Roms back in place via their SCSI card. Does this all sound feasable???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…