New hard drive not available

grabster 15:14 23 Oct 04

Hi, ive just fitted a new Maxtor 120 gb drive as slave but i cant access it.
It is there in system information under storage/disks. how can i access it to format it ?

Noelg23 15:16 23 Oct 04

have you checked the back of the hard drive to make sure it is on Slave? is it on the same IDE cable as the first hard drive? which IDE cable is it on? more info if possible thanks...

Diodorus Siculus 15:20 23 Oct 04

Right click my computer

choose manage

then disk management

from there you should be able to format, partition etc.

grabster 15:22 23 Oct 04

Yep, its on the same cable,the diagram showed to remove the plastic jumper fingy to enable as slave and its on the same cable as my main "c "drive.
device manager say its there but not initialized.

grabster 15:31 23 Oct 04

Thanks for the replies...used disk manager to initialize and formating drive as i type.
Cheers...

pj123 15:34 23 Oct 04

grabster, be very careful. Not so long ago there was a similar thread by someone who accidently formatted the wrong disk. My advice would be to remove your existing disk and make the new one the master. Now, using a boot disk, (get the Win98SE bootdisk from click here) Fdisk, Partition and Format the new disk all in one go. When that is done replace your original disk (as master) and make the new disk a slave and reboot.

grabster 16:06 23 Oct 04

Too late for me now but i did check just to be sure that i was doing the right disk.
Similar thing happened to me in my Amiga days.
Thanks...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…