New Hard Drive - No CD Keys

Jester2K II 12:02 18 Sep 03

Further to this thread click here

I get faced with this situation about once a month or so.....

Client has a X Brand PC, set up using OEM Software. The Hard Drive is dead. They want a new one.

The side of the PC case says Windows Me CD Key ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE.....

So i can reinstall Win ME using my Windows Me CD and their CD Key.

However i always then get " Will Office still be there?", "What about Power DVD" or "It came with Nero / EasyCD / insert software name here>"

They have no CD keys for these products (even if i did have the same version on CD) what can i do? Currently i can only suggest to buy Power DVD / Nero etc again (cost about £8 - 12 each down the road...)

What else could i do????

Jester2K II 12:03 18 Sep 03

Oh sorry when i said X Brand PC i meant to add that X Brand was now out of business....

Tog 12:23 18 Sep 03

Personally I'd tell him the cost up front during his "what about" session. Everyone wants something for nothing but, if you are polite and good vfm, I doubt you'll lose his custom.

Jester2K II 12:27 18 Sep 03

"Everyone wants something for nothing " er no. they just want back EXACTLY what they paid for in the first place when they bought the PC.

Its only the Hard Drive being replaced.

I know these programs ARE installed because they have involves and can show me there work backed up on CDs in Excel and Word files.... Or as in more than one occasion I've been there before and seen it installed. Sometimes i can recover the odd key but more recent versions of Office are more difficult - even Keyfinder doesn't work 100% of the time.

Jester2K II 12:27 18 Sep 03

because they have involves

Sorry

because they have invoices

Jester2K II 12:28 18 Sep 03

vfm = ???

MAJ 12:43 18 Sep 03

value for money

Tog 12:45 18 Sep 03

Your client is expecting you to replace something bought from company "x" when it is not your responsibility (something for nothing) or did they pay you for the pc and the original software?

pj123 12:53 18 Sep 03

Jester2K II. You will have to use your ME CD and your Key to set it up. Then when that is finished you will need to go to Start, Run and type in regedit, then navigate to: Hkey Local Machine, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Registered owner,Product ID and change the Key to their own key, and also change the name. Exit out and reboot.

BigMoFoT 12:57 18 Sep 03

Sounds like a Tiny PC to me - they use to give out CD keys over their support lines, some customers would have received the keys and software seperatley - however most did not!!

Jester2K II 13:55 18 Sep 03

pj123 - Why on earth would i need to do that???? - I have their CD Key on the side of the PC! I use that straight off and no messing in the Reg needed!! I'm talking about things like Power DVD, Nero etc where the key is not on the PC.

BigMoFoT - Bang on. 9 out 10 are Tiny PCs. No keys given - no more support either.

Tog - i understand fully what you are saying about how they bought from X and now X has gone I have to fix it (i'm freelance by the way), but it doesn't make it any easier to explain or for the client to stomach!!

Guess i'll just have to keep explaining about OEM discs to clients and hope they don't get too mad......

Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…