New Hard Drive Installation - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is anyone out there can help me it would be much appreciated. Basically i have a Packard Bell PC with a 6GB Hard Drive and i want to Intstall a new 80GB Hard Drive. No matter what i do it will only recognise the Hard Drive as 32GB so i would presume there is a problem with the motherboard.

Any advice on what i can do to recognise the full 80GB Hard Drive as i'm installing Windows XP Professional on it but as i say it will only recognise the 32GB.

Thank You

Andy

sicknote 11:18 10 Sep 04

Will need more info on PC,such as model,series,etc

ventanas 11:51 10 Sep 04

Is the drive formatted to Fat32? This is the maximum XP will recognise. If you want to remain with Fat32 you will have to use a startup disc from Win98 or Me, and use the Fdisk utility on that disc to format to a higher capacity. Alternatively format the drive to ntfs. A much better option anyway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:49 10 Sep 04

In general, computer systems with a BIOS dated 1998 or later can work with drives up to 32 gigabytes (GB) in size. The 32GB barrier is due to the inability of the BIOS to address an LBA that is larger than 66,060,287. Only in the most recent computer systems has the BIOS been upgraded to work with drives larger than 32GB. In addition, in some computers, a 64GB barrier is still to be overcome. So, the primary limit to the size of the hard drive your computer can use is the LBA limit of your system's BIOS.

So what this seems to boil down to is that you need to have the most current BIOS in your system and an operating system that supports the large drive you want to install. If your computer has an older BIOS (before 1998) then you need to see if a more current BIOS is available from the computer or motherboard manufacturer. Motherboards built in the past few years generally have a flash BIOS that can be upgraded. If you cannot upgrade the BIOS, then the alternative is a third-party software solution or an IDE controller board.

All of the major hard drive manufacturers provide utility software that can accomplish the necessary LBA translations for very large hard drives. However, not all of these software solutions work with the Windows protected mode driver (ESDI_506.pdr). In some cases, the software drivers work only in real mode. This will reduce the speed of data transfer to and from the hard drive. You should ensure that you are using the latest available version of the third party software so that it will be fully compatible with the Windows protected mode drivers. Just because you just bought the drive doesn't mean that newest version of the software was included. You will need to check the manufacturer's Website for the latest version information. This utility software includes "Maxblast" from Maxtor, "Disk Manager" from Ontrack, and "Data LifeGuard" from Western Digital. There may be others, but these are the ones I am most familiar with. The latest versions of these utilities work very well in checking your systems BIOS to determine if it will support the new drive you are installing. They will also assist you in partitioning and formatting the drive.

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here

cream. 14:01 10 Sep 04

Hi.

Has it got a limitation jumper. Have you removed the 32 gig limitation jumper?click here

Having tried Maxblast from Maxtor which i thought would do the trick it doesn't let me do anything when i remove the limitation jumper, the computer just hangs and goes nowhere but when i put it back in and go through the process it works but still will only recognise the hard drive as 32gb and not the 80gb that it is.

Any other suggestions please would be much appreciated as i'm tearing my hair out here. I take it the only was round this is to update the Bios which i'm not too sure about doing incase it goes wrong.

Many Thanks

Andy

cream. 08:54 12 Sep 04

Andy. If you have taken out the limitation jumper and the computer refuses to boot, then the bios is to old to recognise the size of the hard drive. You have tried maxblast, is it a maxtor hard drive? What is the make and model of the hard drive.

One way you can get it to work is to install a PCI controller card.click here
click here

What is worrying is that you want to install windows X\P. If the bios will not recognise a 80 gig hard drive, I wonder what other specifications you have on your computer.

Will you let us know the following. Your present operating system, motherboard make and model, cpu size and memory details. If you don't know them, then use this handy programme to detect them.click here

goonerbill © ® 10:03 12 Sep 04

what you need to do is find out if there is a bios update for your mobo as mentioned by Fruit Bat /\0/\ so you can use the drive to its full potential. the other two options are a PCI IDE controller card or partition the drive into say 3X 25+ gb segments.

Churston 08:27 18 Sep 04

Seeking advice before purchasing a new 60 Gb hard drive.
I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 {Intel Pentium III 848MHz 512 RAM) with a 20Gb hard drive. I would like to upgrade it to 60Gb. I see there is opportunity to have one with spindle speed 5200 rpm as against 4200rpm. My present one runs at 4200.
Could anyone advise whether it is possible/advantageous to use the faster speed or not.

Thanks
Churston

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…