New Hard drive installation etc

GBL 15:12 27 Dec 04

I use XP Pro etc, and have just bought a new Hard Drive, my intention is to install this one alongside the old one,and use the new one as the main drive and the old one for storage etc, but I don't want to copy the whole contents over as I thought a clean install might be best.

I have created a folder on the old drive and put loads of files into it, my thoughts are;-
Initially I would install the new drive and disconnect the old one whilst I put Windows on and other programs I use, if I do not complete all this in one go then I can always disconnect it and reconnect the old drive to run on.

When all is complete I hope to use the old drive for storage etc and hopefully the folder I have created will be accessable.
I hope to be able to copy those over and then do a format of the old drive.

Is my train of thought correct??

Dorsai 15:20 27 Dec 04

I am not sure what problems you might encounter when both drives are bootable, and both connected at once. Sounds fine otherwise though.

the-george 15:28 27 Dec 04

Seems ok to me but get the jumpers and position on cable set correctly.
If new drive set to master and connected to end of cable and old drive set to slave and on middle connector then i cannot see a problem with both drives being bootable!
If Cable select supported (need to have compatible cable)and both on Cable select then so long as the new drive is on the end connector this should be ok as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:30 27 Dec 04

1..copy motherboard and all other drivers to cd

2. install new drive as slave,

3. use hard disk tools to prepare the drive

4. install new drive as master Install windows and drivers.

5 install old drive as slave swap files to new drive

6. format old drive

GBL 16:05 27 Dec 04

Thanks to all for the feedback, I will give it a go and see what happens.
Have a happy new year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…