new hard drive help needed

shippy 12:31 23 Feb 03

ive just been to the computer fair and purchased a new samsung 60gb hd
please understand that i have done anything like this before so please understand my ignorance.

ok,what i want to do is install the new hard drive but also keep my old 40gb one as well then i would like to use my old hard drive as storage and run windows xp pro on the new one,

i would also like to transfer some of my old bits and pieces pictures, files ect to the new hard drive.

i do apologise if this does not make one bit of sense .

any help would be appreciated
many thanks

Rayuk 12:37 23 Feb 03

I would do it this way
Instal new drive as Master on Primary ide connecter
Remove ide and power cable from original drive
Instal WinXP on new drive
Change original drive jumper to slave connect ide[Primary ide connecter] and power cables
You can then access data from it[when done just format drive and you will be able to use it for data storage]

TECHNODIMWIT 12:40 23 Feb 03

set your new drive as master and fit in place of your old drive and load winXP, when your up and running refit your old drive ressetting it to slave.

drag and drop all you want to save to your new drive, fdisk and format old drive, and your ready to roll

REMEMBER TO BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT FILES FIRST

MARK

Lozzy 12:46 23 Feb 03

If your existing HDD is working ok then I would suggest for simplicity that you install the new HDD as the Slave. There are jumpers on the front near the power supply pins look at the manual that came with the HDD it will show you how to set them. Insert the HDD into the spare bay secure firmly then insert the female connector that is half way down the ribbon between the existing HDD and Mo-bo connect the power.

Now when you Boot into Windows it will detect the new HDD and it will format then for can use it as you wish.

I would recommend that you do a full back-up first just to be safe and also make sure your earthed..

shippy 12:47 23 Feb 03

Great thanks guys
i thought that would be the way to go but thought i would check first

AndySD 12:49 23 Feb 03

To Format a drive in XP use the Disk Manager. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management. Right click on the Drive you wish to format or Partition and the options are there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…