new hard drive freezes..HELPP

hellraiser_21 10:27 09 Oct 03

Iv just had a new hard drive fitted because of the same problem iv been having.. its a 120GB Maxtor 7200rpm. the same is happening with the new one. It jus freezes, thers nothing i could do but to switch the power off..My system specs are: P3 858mhz 256mb ram..64mb graphics card, OS running WIN2K PRO

Much appreciated if anyone can help..Thanks

christmascracker 12:52 09 Oct 03

bump

BBez 13:03 09 Oct 03

you could download Maxtors Power Diag utility for hard disks if you click here and check the hard disk is OK first.

Are you getting any Blue Screens errors and what is displayed on monitor when freezing (eg. starting win 2000 etc) You may try some sort of RAM tester also as you may have a faulty RAM stick which can cause problems. Mail me if you have trouble finding a suitable utility.

I've also had this error with a damaged CPU (processor) which will run for 5 minutes then freeze the system. Do you get to the point where you can press F8 for advanced startup options?

MichelleC 13:03 09 Oct 03

Can you boot into safemode or command prompt?

BBez 13:06 09 Oct 03

sorry, link is down. click here to get the diagnostic util for maxtor HDD's

BBez 13:11 09 Oct 03

click here for a RAM & Hard Disk Diagnostic Utility that runs from a floppy disk. Just click on the downloaded file to create the disk then start up PC with disk in floppy drive. Assuming BIOS is set to boot from floppy before Hard Disk...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…