New Hard Drive Failiure-What do I do next?

tolly2 00:19 22 Sep 04

My recently installed Maxtor Diamondmax plus 80 gig hard drive has failed.

It started causing a blue screen message every time windows began loading. Then it wouldn't boot at all. I can't create a partition or format it.

Do I just send it back, or will they expect me to have tested it in any way first?

User-312386 00:26 22 Sep 04

click here and download powermax to ensure it is a HDD failure

tolly2 00:30 22 Sep 04

Thanks madboy33. I'll give it a go.

vinnyT 13:33 22 Sep 04

If there is a prob. with the drive, you may be better contacting Maxtor direct, as opposed to contacting the shop you got it from. This often works out faster.

Note down the prob. that powermax lists onscreen, the more info you can give the better they will be able to help.

Fortunately, I have always found Maxtor one of the better companies to deal with, if a prob occurs.

tolly2 11:02 07 Oct 04

Downloaded and ran Powermax. It doesn't find a problem. There must be something wrong with the drive, it gets extremely hot to the touch. I have e-mailed Maxtor and they have given me a returns number. It has been sent back to them, so I will wait and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

User-312386 07:14 08 Oct 04

do come back and tell us what happened

tolly2 20:35 02 Nov 04

Just to update you on what's happened.

I returned the drive to Maxtor and they have replaced my 80 Gig drive with a 120 Gig drive within 10 days. Unfortunately there has been no explaination as to the fault.

Don't mind though, the new drive works fine (so far!)

Thanks for your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…