New hard drive - error message

Hudson 19:18 12 Mar 10

Just replaced my 2nd hard drive with a bigger one. It works fine except that I get a sequence of messages when starting up:
- A bubble from the notification area saying 'Found new hardware - Volume'.
- Then the error message, 'Device installer error - Windows could not load the installer for Volume. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance.' I esc. this away (five times - I've partitioned the disc into five logical drives).
- Finally another bubble saying 'Found new hardware - Your new hardware is installed and ready for use'.

It's a Seagate Barracuda IDE hard drive, 160GB, installed in my old Socket A machine (Athlon XP 2400 in an ASRock K7S41 motherboard). I'm running Windows XP. The old drive it replaces was the same model but 80GB, partitioned in the same way. I formatted and partitioned the new drive using the Seagate DiscWizard utility and then copied all the data over with the new drive on the secondary IDE channel. Then I swapped out the old drive (so the new one was on the primary channel) and used Partition Magic to sort out the drive letters. The old drive is no longer in the system.

Any IDEa (geddit) what's going on?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:34 12 Mar 10

your probably missing sfc.dll in C:\windows\system32

Yo will want to replace the files sfcfiles.dll, storprop.dll and syssetup.dll in the windows\system32 directory. Open a command prompt by clicking START, then RUN, then typing CMD and clicking OK. Type in cd c:\windows\system32 or cd %systemroot%\system32 if your system drive is any letter other than C:. Type COPY %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache\SFCFILES.DLL . /Y and press ENTER. Then type COPY %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache\SYSSETUP.DLL . /Y and press ENTER. Then type COPY %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache\storprop.dll . /Y and press ENTER. Now type EXIT to exit the Command Console and restart your computer.

Hudson 19:38 12 Mar 10

Thanks, will try that (intimidating though it looks). No time now - report back later.

Hudson 21:43 12 Mar 10

Just to confirm that you seem to be right, Fruit Bat, as DirectX Diagnostics reports stcfiles.dll missing.

Hudson 22:56 12 Mar 10

That should have been 'sfcfiles.dll', of course.

I've typed all that stuff with extreme care and get 'the system cannot find the file specified' every time, despite all three .dll files being on the C drive in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. (Syssetup.dll and storprop.dll are also in the system32 folder.)

Incidentally, is there an easier way to get the files in the right place - by copying and pasting, for instance? I'm certain I didn't make any errors typing at the command prompt - after the sixth attempt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:11 12 Mar 10

Yes you could try copy and pasting.

don't forget you need a reboot on competion for it to work.

Hudson 23:28 12 Mar 10

Brilliant! Copied and pasted the missing file to system32 and everything's working fine. Many thanks Fruit Bat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…