new hard drive, disc check on boot up

GuyR 18:22 18 Sep 05

Having had to fit a new hard drive, I made the classic mistake of leaving the second hard drive still attached to the IDE cable. After fromatting and loading windows new drive was called F with the old second drive re-named C.

Having checked forum postings I know that cannot re-name the drive (F) that has the boot up info on.

Problem I am getting is that on boot up and re-boots computer keeps saying a hard drive needs to be checked. I am unsure if this is C drive which have re-named to H, or the F drive with OS on it. Second drive is only 2 months old as well following previous crash caused by my son.
Am running a disc scan with repair errors on the old disc (now H). Any ideas what could be causing this.
would I be better off disconnecting 2nd Drive, and reformatting new hard drive re-load OS (win XP) so drive is called C.

I am not too bothered about drive letters but I know it will confuse the rest of the family.

alan227 18:27 18 Sep 05

You would be better of disconnecting the second drive, reformating the OS drive and reinstalling.

GuyR 18:44 18 Sep 05

I ahve added drive names to the discs so family understand what they are to be used for.

Having run a disc check on the old drive (being called C when previously had been F, and done a re-boot no longer getting disc error messages, scan disc did not inform me if there had been any problems.

Will not bother doing re-format etc at this time as it has taken nearly 4 hours now and still need to load printer and lots more programmes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…