New Hard Drive - Can't Get It Working

paradiddle1984 20:41 14 Jun 06

Hi all,

I've just bought a Barracude st3120022a 120GB hdd for my pc to replace an old maxtor 40gb one and for some reason I can't get it working. I've fitted the drive and booted the pc from my Win XP CD and I've got as far as around 80% on the full format then my PC just powers down.

I've tried this a few times now and am getting quite annoyed with it. I even downloaded the special Seagate software for formatting this hdd but to no avail.

I sometimes get the error "ntldr is missing" as well if i just try and boot from the drive itself.

Do you think it could be a fauly disk drive?

I know its not my pc because Im using it now to type with my old drive.

Thanks everyone

User-312386 20:43 14 Jun 06

Right click My Computer>Select Manage, then in the left hand pane select disc management.

Now you will see the drive in the right hand pane, Select Format

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:44 14 Jun 06

Fit as slave

format in disk management

paradiddle1984 20:48 14 Jun 06

i only have room for 1 hard drive in my case

woodchip 20:59 14 Jun 06

Check where your Hard drive fits, some have screws so they can be hung from the bottom of the frame that holds the drive little notches, you have to put two screws nearly in on the back edge that you cannot see then slide it into notches then fit other two screws, screw into the top of the drive then you could use it as Slave and format as above

paradiddle1984 22:25 14 Jun 06

my hdd bracket is located flush with the front of my case. directly above is my cd drive, and to the rear of the case is my psu and gfx card etc. Its a small asus t2 case so there isnt any room to get another drive in. Theres an empty cd bay but there isny a way to mount the drive safely and i do not have a long enough lead to connect to the motherboard located at the bottom of the case

ed-0 23:00 14 Jun 06

Disconnect the cdrom IDE ribbon cable and it's power adapter. You can then connect these to the new drive ( jumpered to slave ) and format as Fruit Bat /\0/\ mentions.

You don't need the drive in a bay, just let it hang loose, so long as the pcb is facing away from the computer case.

When you have formatted the drive, use the manufacturers utility to clone the "C" drive to the new drive.

Or better still use acronis if you have it.

DieSse 01:12 15 Jun 06

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't format in the manner you've tried, unless the drive is faulty.

If you try and boot from it without an OS installed, then you certainly will egt the error message you say - this is not the problem, or even indicative of what the problem is.

There are some BIOSs with odd capacity limits, but this would not cause the system to power down, and in any case would likely be fixed with the Seagate software.

jack 09:17 15 Jun 06

You have a lot of good advice here. just to emphasise
You do not need to 'fit' the drive - let it 'dangle or temporarily remove the CD drive.
Download the manufacturers 'New Drive utility'

paradiddle1984 12:59 15 Jun 06

thanks guys, im in work at the moment but i will try this tonight. Someone in work suggested that this may be an overheating problem with the drive itself, I have noticed the drive is quite hot when I remove it. If this is the case, as I have tried reformatting many times, I should be able to get a refund or exchange shouldnt I?

DieSse 17:54 15 Jun 06

If this is the case, as I have tried reformatting many times, I should be able to get a refund or exchange shouldnt I?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…