new hard drive

ripendigging 13:44 27 Feb 08

I have installed a new hard drive on my pc.because my existing one is nearly full.I think it has installed ok as it shows up in (my computer),what I dont understand is how it comes into use,does it just activate when my old drive is full?

woodchip 14:15 27 Feb 08

If you are using XP, Go My Computer and Right click on it choose Manage\Disc Management you need to make the Drive active create a Partition then right click it in my computer and choose format

ripendigging 15:38 27 Feb 08

Thankyou Woodchip.

interzone55 15:47 27 Feb 08

"what I dont understand is how it comes into use,does it just activate when my old drive is full?"

Your computer won't just start to use this drive once your other one is full, it's not that clever.

Once you've formatted the drive you'll need to move your My Documents folder to this drive. Right Click on the My Documents icon, select properties and press Move, on the folder list that shows up select your new drive and the folder will move to the new drive. Any programs that use My Documents will automatically use the new drive.

ripendigging 10:27 28 Feb 08

Thankyou Alan14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…