New Hard Drive

Ade_1 08:45 09 Apr 06

Hi, i am looking into buying a new hard drive and having my current one as a second. I know i have space for 2 but i was wondering how to go about it, i am looking arat getting another SATA and im pretty confident on the connection etc but i just wanted to know what else i need to know about buying one before i put it in as i dont want to go buying the wrong one.

terryf 09:03 09 Apr 06

What size is your current one? You may be better off retaining the present drive and getting another about (say) 160Gb or upwards. I keep all my data, docs, pics, tunes, downloads, email and browser data backups (using EA8) etc on my second HD. My C drive only has OS and progs and is backed up as a mirror image using Acronis.This way if I get screw-ups with the OS I can restore all in 15 mins rather than multiple cups of coffee while windows re-installs. A quick update of Windows and Av definitions and I have a clean fresh system. I would check the spec for your current HD and then buy another bigger from the same manufacturer so that in the future if you get HD problems you can use manufacture's diagnostic progs.

Jak_1 10:20 09 Apr 06

I would suggest getting the largest you can afford, you can never have too much hdd space as programs get more and more bloated taking up more drive space.

Leave your current drive as master and slave the new one.

terryf 11:00 09 Apr 06

Also consider in your budget an ext usb hd to use as backup 'belt and braces'

Ade_1 12:45 09 Apr 06

Hi, sorry for delayed response, I currently have an 80GB HDD. Where abouts can i find the spec of my current hard drive? Im assuming Everest would tell me...

(Thanks for the advice everyone)

howard63 12:48 09 Apr 06

if you are happy opening up the pc all the info you require is on the existing hard drive.

Ade_1 12:55 09 Apr 06

yeh, i dont mind, i just wondered if there was anothwer way round it because the side of my case is really annoying to get back on, but i dont mind opening it just to check :)

ed-0 12:55 09 Apr 06

this will tell you your hard drive model;-)

control panel > system > hardware > device manager > disk drives.

Pop the number into google and bob' your proverbial.0)

Ade_1 13:07 09 Apr 06

Just to inform you, i have a Maxtor 6L080M0 currently. After looking at Everest It has an
8mb buffer
7200RPM

Anything else i need to know, there is alot more info there but dont know how much of it i actually need to compare with a new one.

Also, if i get a new hard drive, if i make it the primary one, will i need to reinstall windows on it, or would i have to buy Windows XP again?

ed-0 13:23 09 Apr 06

You will need to know that the interface is 1.5Gb/s and not 3.0Gb/s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017