New hard drive

clayton 20:15 05 Sep 05

A friend needs a new hard drive for his pc, the motherboard is a gigabyte GA-6WMM7 rev 4.1, is there anyway to know what size this mobo will take i'd like to fit a 80gb one if i can ???

Totally-braindead 20:18 05 Sep 05

The only size problem you may have with a hard drive is if you're using an older operating syatme like windows 98, if hes using XP you can install any size of drive you like.

clayton 20:27 05 Sep 05

The new drive will have Windows ME on it.

Totally-braindead 20:29 05 Sep 05

Let someone else answer this one then, as far as I know a 80 gig would not be a problem but better let someone else answer for certain .

dan11 20:47 05 Sep 05

You say the bios is rev 4.1.

If the bios is dated before december 1999. Then the maximum capacity for any operating system will be 32gig.

If it is dated december 1999 or after. Then the maximum hard drive capacity for any operating system is 64Gig, for this board.

Hope this helps.

clayton 21:30 05 Sep 05

dan the board revision is 4.1 not sure what the bios is as the pc wont boot.

Totally-braindead 21:37 05 Sep 05

Worse case scenario, you buy a 80 gig drive, install ME on it but its only recognised as a 32gig drive because of the old BIOS. Solution then would be to flash the BIOS but if you try that and it goes wrong then the motherboard will be useless. Other option just use it as a 32 gig drive and don't flash the BIOS, wouldn't do any harm. If you have a look here as an example at the top 2 click here the difference is price is only £2 not a lot really. I'd go for the 80gig one. If its recognised as 80 fine, if not use it as a 32 but I wouldn't flash the BIOS. If your friend buys a new PC later on he can always use the drive with that as an 80.

Jak_1 21:54 05 Sep 05

No problem with milenium, it will take any size drive unlike win 98. I asked the same question to a BT it engineer, his answer was 'It will take whatever size drive you want to put in'. I was thinking of getting a 120 gig drive at the time and he said it would be no proble as Win ME can handle it.

dan11 22:05 05 Sep 05

revision 4.1 is the bios revision. A lot of motherboard bios's are constantly up-dated to take newer components or to fix problems with the motherboard.

the GA-6WMM7 bios goes upto F7A beta click here

and this shows how the bios affects the size of hard drive you put in. click here

I have had a scan around the net. The original motherboard would only support a 8.4 gig hard drive. I cannot find any information about the 4.1 release date. In fact nearly all reviews are post December 1999.

From that, I can just guess. I would say that 32gig may be the largest you can use.

There is another solution. Some hard drives come with size limitation jumpers. They are usually 32gig. So you could buy a 60gig and try. If it did not accept it, you could use the limitation jumper so it would boot with just 32gig.

Finding a 32gig hard drive is neigh impossible, the nearest would be 30gig and they can be difficult to locate. The actual cost of a 60gig to a smaller drive is minuscule. This may be option you want to consider.

clayton 22:15 05 Sep 05

Ok thanks everone for your help, i'll get a new 80gb hd tomorrow & give it a try.

Gongoozler 22:17 05 Sep 05

If you run Belarc Advisor on the computer it should give the BIOS version and date. Alternatively the BIOS chip will probably have the date on the label.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…