New Hard Drive

carper 15:54 15 Aug 05

I am sure that you have heard this plea to often but I cannot find suitable details in the archive. I would apprcecate it if somone could talk me through it or point me to a suitable reference which would answer the questions My 40 gig HD has gone on the blink and I have decided to replace it with a new 80 gig drive. My questions are :- should I install it in place of the old drive and set it as master with the old drive in the vacant space set as slave? Can I transfer all my programmes across to the new drive to use as master? Do I need to programme it or do something with the bios. This is the first time I have attempted something so advance so any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.. Carper

rawprawn 16:15 15 Aug 05

Yes you can install your new HDD as Master and your old one as slave, but I'm not sure what you mean by "On the blink" In my opinion you would be best to install your new HDD and reinstall windows on that. Then reinstall all your programs, use your old HDD to keep all your data files which you will be able to transfer accross to the new HDD.Depending on "On the blink" then after you have saved all your Data to your new HDD, Format the old one as slave and start with a clean slave HDD.

rawprawn 16:19 15 Aug 05

click here usefull to look at.Type install new hard drive into google and choose the one you find easiest to follow.

carper 14:28 16 Aug 05

Thanks for the suggestions. Have tried them but I seem to have gone astray somewhere. The new drive came up as new hardware detected and shows up in Belarc but there is no sign of it in "My computer" Have I missed something. Booting up is now desperately slow. Any more help anyone please? regards Carper

DieSse 14:54 16 Aug 05

What make of new hard drive have you purchased (it's very relevant)

pj123 15:14 16 Aug 05

Your new hard drive would need to be Fdisk'd, Partitioned and Formatted before it can be used.

You would then need to install your O/S, Motherboard drivers, and all your programs from scratch.

If your "old" hard drive is on the blink there wouldn't be any point in transferring anything as you would transfer the same problems to the new hard disk.

carper 15:26 16 Aug 05

DieSse New hard drive is a MaxtorDiamond Plus 9 80Gig
Thanks pj123 I'm afraid that I need some guidance to do what you suggest. The noise in the old drive appeared to be mechanical and when booted there is no problem at all. Thanks again

pj123 15:47 16 Aug 05

OK, the first thing to do is to download and make a bootdisk. Go to click here and download the bootdisk for Windows 98SE. Post back when done.

DieSse 17:35 16 Aug 05

For the Maxtor you can download from their site a program called Maxblast - or similar.

This has a complete installation and copy program for upgrading your hard drve , and copying all the contents across from your old drive to the new - with instructions.

Totally-braindead 18:02 16 Aug 05

I'd go with DieSse here the programs called Maxblast 4, the advantage with it is its much faster than using Windows to format, easier too. If the other drive is on the blink as you say they I wouldn't use it and yes I'd just replace the old one with the new one. click here

carper 09:11 17 Aug 05

Totally-braindead. The link gives Maxblast 3 and I have made the diskette and am now going to give it a go. If I have no joy I am going to replace the old disk with the new. Will it then reload from the OEM disc or do I need to format from the disk. regards Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…