New hard drive

ginty 13:24 07 Feb 05

I would like to replace my 40Gig with a new larger Hard disk, can I keep my exisiting hard disk as an additional drive with existing info on it or do I need to reformat it. I use XP professional.The new disk would be the main drive with Xp on it.

TomJerry 13:48 07 Feb 05

you can download a program from manuafcturer's web site for transfering over, all manufacturers have a program, but Matrox one called Maxblaster or something is loved by many, personally I use ghost or copy commander

Gongoozler 13:55 07 Feb 05

By far the easiest way, and this is what I have done, is to make your new drive Slave to your old one, and use the new drive only to store your save files. Format the new drive via diskmgmt.msc (Start - Run diskmgmt.msc) Transfer all your documents to the new drive. Make folders in the new drive for the different categories of saved files and set them as defaults in the applications. Then your old drive with 40G capacity will be plenty large enough for Windows and all your installed programs.

bri-an 14:21 07 Feb 05

I agree with Gongoozler, I have just setup a new HDD as 'slave', with my original still there as master and used Maxtors own program to do partitions, format and put an image of my original drive on the new larger disk as backup in case I ever did have problems with the original disk.
The process was quite straightforward - even for a novice like me (after able assistance from other forum members).
I bought a 120Gb Maxtor (OEM version) for £40+.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now