New Hard Drive

Alex-188000 15:10 14 Dec 04

My friend got a new hard drive for his old, very old pc. he currently has a 8 GB hard drive which was formatted using windows 98 boot disk. His new Western Digital 40GB hard drive woundt format. We set it as primary master and the IDE cable si brand new. Bios wont recognise it either. I was thinking that one of the chips could of blown due to a build up of static. Has anyone got any other ideas?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 14 Dec 04

He will probably need a BIOS flash to be able to use the 40G HDD.

Put the old disk back in and see if BIOS finds it, It probably will so no blown chips, older PCs with old BIOS cannot see larger Harddrives my old 97 PC will not take above 20G an an o;d pentium from same time will not see above 8G. the tools below may get you round the problem. they are free so nothing to lose.

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

Diemmess 16:51 14 Dec 04

Old Boxes, Win98SE and new 40Gb HD, didn't work for me either when I fitted a Maxtor of that size.

I downloaded from the maufacturer's site (WD do the same I believe,) a program which fitted on a floppy, allowed me to boot, and following the prompts partiton and format in seconds.

On that computer, it too failed to recognise this size of HD unless I used the CSL jumper setting and left it to the computer to deal with it in the BIOS as 'Auto'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…