new hard drive

ace121pk 20:41 31 Oct 04

i have purchased a new harddrive, its a 200bg western digital, the problem it that i wish to use it ad my primary master and want to install windows xp, i have set it up and i keep getting an error message at boot up sayin primary harddrive failt SETUP. how can i install windows onto it?

any suggestion?

woodchip 20:46 31 Oct 04

If it's a old computer that may be the problem, in that the BIOS will not recognise the drive as it should

PSF 20:55 31 Oct 04

click here Download the Data lifeguard tools to set up your drive before installing Windows.

If you have a system already installed you can fit the drive as a slave and then using the tool it will transfer the contents of the drive to the new drive. You cannot just copy one to the other as there are hidden files that need to be transfered. It guides you step by step from formatiing to swapping jumpers over.

ace121pk 21:19 31 Oct 04

how can i get the pc to read the harddrive, and if i use the second option, i.e. having it as a slave wit another harddrive wit an os on it, e.g. windows xp how do i make window read the drive?

ace121pk 21:23 31 Oct 04

how can i get the pc to read the harddrive, and if i use the second option, i.e. having it as a slave wit another harddrive wit an os on it, e.g. windows xp how do i make window read the drive?

PSF 22:07 31 Oct 04

The Data lifeguard tool will recognise the drive and give you various options what to do with it.
If not right click 'my computer' click manage click disk management, from there you can format and partion the new drive.

Using the data lifeguard within Windows is straightforward to use. Have a read through the link I posted earlier, there is plenty of info on the WD site.

ace121pk 23:55 31 Oct 04

tried out those software, and my bios is is still not accepting the new harddrive, it says there was an error with the primary slave, it is a 200gb harddrive from western digital

ace121pk 15:59 01 Nov 04

EIDE WD200 Western Digital 200gb, not being read by the BIOS? any solution?

PSF 16:06 01 Nov 04

Have you tried the dos version of Data Lifeguard.

Also in your BIOS is it set to auto detect hard drives.

Rayuk 18:20 01 Nov 04

Use the manufacturers hardware to check the hard drive may be faulty see if it comes up with an error code.

ace121pk 22:35 01 Nov 04

PSF, i tried the dos version of life guard, it cannot detect the harddrive either, my bios is set to auto detect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…