//some 3rd party need geo

New hard drive

Josquius 18:15 23 Jul 04

I'm wanting to install a new hard drive in addition to the one I currently have.
How woudl I go about doing this?
Is it just a case of putting it in connecting the wires and then switching the computer on?
Will I have to go to dos to format it or can windows xp do this?

reaths 18:29 23 Jul 04

you should have two IDE slots on M/B your CD-ROM
should be connected to IDE 2 your hard drive to IDE 1 if leaving your original as the operating
system then make sure this is set as masterand is on the end of the cable put your new drive in the bay below this and the connector inthe middle goes here make sure you set this as slave plug in power connector.turn on you should now see both drives listed as the computer boots when in windows XP goto my computer double click drive and it should ask you to format select NTFS or FAT32 which ever you want (NTFS is faster) and it should format it

Djohn 18:45 23 Jul 04

It may not show in "My computer" until it has been initialised from disk management, partitioned and formatted as required. But as reaths suggest, it is easy to do. Might be a good idea to sort your other problem first though, then we can move onto this. J

Josquius 18:51 23 Jul 04

What advantage does fat32 have over ntfs? (they wouldn't give you a choice if ntfs was totally better in every way...would they?)

reaths 18:56 23 Jul 04

FAT 32 is old windows file system NTFS is new and
Is faster unless you need to access FAT 32 files
theres no need to have it

SEASHANTY 19:29 23 Jul 04

How to install a second hard drive
click here

bremner 19:39 23 Jul 04

There is no such thing as a FAT32 file.

FAT32 and NTFS are effectively different ways of managing the files on a system.

NTFS offers a more secure system but the downside can be that it can be slower than FAT32. For the Home User the main advantage of NTFS is that it supports larger hard drive sizes.

bremner 19:45 24 Aug 04

Power Supply Unit - PSU

Dorsai 20:57 24 Aug 04

The size of your current PSU is not know to us, so it might be OK for another disk.

sadly some PSU's hide the info sticker. It may not be visible unless you unscrew it from the PC case. I can't see my PSU's data sticker unless i unscrew it from the case. It will say many things. The most basic bit will be 300W, of 350W, or just write the lot down, and post back.

if you have to go inside the case remember to unplug the PC from the mains, and give any capacitors a few Min's to discharge. Also take suitable anti static precautions, just to be on the safe side.

Otherwise a fairly straight forward upgrade.

Josquius 11:24 12 Sep 04

I bought a new PSU, my old one was 300 or so and my new 500. I was having problems with over heating anyway.
I fitted the new hard drive and the new PSU then turned the computer on- the computer failed to find the boot record on my hard disk. I removed all the wires leading to the new hard drive and now it works as normal.
What do I need to do in connecting the new hard drive?
Is the original is a primary slave so that needs to be set to be a seconday slave?
Which one should be first on the ribbon? Old one I have at the moment.

bremner 11:32 12 Sep 04

The original drive is the primary master and the new drive the primary slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…