New Hard Drive

bgrave 14:54 21 Jun 04

I am using XP Professional and I have just installed a second Hard Disk (80Gb). The BIOS entry went ok with auto detect. I followed the instructions for formatting ( Western Digital Installation Guide ) by going to Control panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disc Management , the only formatting option available was NTFS. After formatting I found that it was NTFS Dynamic. The disk works ok and I can copy files to it but I am unable to partition it using Partition Magic 7 because of the Dynamic type. Can I undo the Dynamic, except for the partitioning should I be worried if it is Dynamic, the disk is for data only.

bgrave.

bremner 15:23 21 Jun 04

click here to see how to revert

bremner 15:24 21 Jun 04

ps

it is the second item in blue below the main text.

ventanas 17:02 21 Jun 04

In a nutshell:

The process is destructive. All data on the drive will be lost. So back up everything that you need to keep.

Return to Disc Management and delete all volumes from the drive. Then, again in Disc management, right-click the disc and choose Convert to Basic Disk.

mrdsgs 18:02 21 Jun 04

in patition magic 7, once you have gone back to an unpartitioned disk, start by making a smaller partition say 30gb, you will then have the option of fat 32. once that is done you can increase the partition size to max possible on your 80 gb disk.

mrdsgs

bremner 18:07 21 Jun 04

You can create partitions of the type and size of your choice in XP's Disk management as well.

bgrave 23:57 21 Jun 04

Many thanks I am now out of trouble,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…