NEW HARD DISK FORMATTING

fullerbonks 10:06 09 May 05

I have replaced my hard disk with a new Seagate. I also have bought a windows XP Home op system. I understand the seagate comes with soft format, but it will require formatting. I know the xp disk does partitioning but will it formatas well. Please help.

golfpro 10:19 09 May 05

Yes it does, I recently formatted my Seagate external HD through my XP OS Tools>properties>hardware> Advanced, I think but you will find it OK

fullerbonks 10:37 09 May 05

I should point out that this seagate is not a second disk, so I do not have any operating sys installed, that is why I want to format this one to enable me to install XP. My old harddisk packed up and has been removed.

Eric10 10:41 09 May 05

If you are setting up XP from scratch then formatting either in FAT32 or NTFS is indeed an option within the setup procedure. I would always recommend NTFS unless you are dual booting with Win98/ME on the same PC.

fullerbonks 10:50 09 May 05

Thanks Eric10. I will be partitioning in NTFS, but is this all the formatting that is required to complete the installation, and load my data.

fullerbonks 10:54 09 May 05

Thanks Eric10. I will be partitioning in NTFS, but is this all the formatting that is required to complete the installation, and load my data.
thereason that I ask is my previous Maxtor which is no longer had to be hard formatted with a disk from Maxtor befor partitiong etc by the MS XP disk

Diodorus Siculus 10:55 09 May 05

Yes, what you plan on doing will be fine.

You partition the disk and format as NTFS.

click here

fullerbonks 11:05 09 May 05

Thanks Mate. your a toff and I'll give it a wirl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced