New hard disc not recognised in My Computer

JKAM 19:49 13 Jan 05

Just got a new 250Gb H/D using 40 pin EIDE, BIOS sees it but it is not in My Computer. Running Win. 2000, AMD Athlon 2.0Gb processor, NTFS file system. Tried master and Win98 start up floppy, but computer stops after recognising drives, same with Win.2000 CD. Am trying to format the disc for use. Is it too big perhaps?. Is it something to do with 40 pin EIDE?, computer is 2 1/2 years old. Any ideas?

bazb 20:37 13 Jan 05

I don't think your drive will show in "My Computer" if it is'nt formated.

If you go to the manufaturers site you should be able to download there installation/diagnostic tools to assist you. Maxtor click here Seagate click here.

hope this helps, good luck.

Djohn 21:46 13 Jan 05

Not sure if 2000 is the same as XP but give this try in case it is. Right click on your My Computer Icon, choose Manage then Disk management. Drives will show up in there as (0) main drive with operating system on it and (1) Slave Drive.

Right click on the right hand pane of the window of the slave drive (1)and choose partition, select the whole of the drive if you don't want partitions and then format. It will now show up in My Computer and be ready for use.

Large drive like that will take a long time to format if you choose the normal format so click on Quick Format and it will be done in seconds.

User-312386 21:54 13 Jan 05

Is it an ATA drive by any chance?

If it is you need to prepare the HDD first

Djohn 22:33 13 Jan 05

Brilliant, worked a treat, thanks a million.

Your welcome, pleased to help :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…