New graphics card stops internet connection

nkosi 18:18 22 May 06

I've just replaced an nvidia GeForce 3 graphics card with an nvidia GeForce 5500. They are both AGP X4 and both use the same Forceware driver. The new card installed fine and the display is perfect. My desktop connects to the internet via a wireless router (via a wireless PCI card). However, I can't connect to the internet with the new card installed. I can get a wireless connection to the router although it doesn't always connect. I can occasionally get half a page to load and then the connection drops. I've tried reseating everything, but the only thing that works is re-installing the old graphics card. I've swapped them several times to confirm that it is the new card causing the problem. Anybody any ideas?

john-232317 18:35 22 May 06

All I can think of is power or lack of it to run your new card and the router.

Rayuk 18:51 22 May 06

Did you reinstal the drivers?even though both are Nvidia cards you should still reinstal the drivers

nkosi 20:07 22 May 06

Rayuk - thanks, yes I did un-install the driver for the old card first. dadyassa - I suppose it could be power. I have an ethernet card with which I could replace the wireless card and try that. But as the phone plug is on the opposite side of the room, it's a bit of a tedious job. I was hoping somebody might come up with an easier, obvious answer! Always the optimist. I'll have to leave that for a day or two. Thanks for the tip. Ian.

nkosi 15:11 24 May 06

The problem appears to have been an incompatibility with the wireless card. I replaced the card with an ethernet connection to the router and everything's OK. I would have tried it first but it meant a big upheaval to get it done. Thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…