New Graphics card refresh problem

Alf58 21:55 25 Oct 06

I have just installed a Radeon 9550 graphics card as a replacement for my Nvidia Geforce MX420.

My problem is that the refresh rate however high I set it, it still gives me a slightly flickering screen as though the refresh rate is set too low. It is giving me a headache apart from being disappointed my new graphics card is inferior to the one I replaced.

I am using a provision 152 CRT monitor. I have downloaded the latest drivers for the Radeon 9550 but with no change to the refresh problem.

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 on a Pentium 4 machine 2.8GHz with 512 Ram.I've had it about three years.

The instruction manual gives vague reference to updating the Bios on my computer but does not explain why this is necessary. It says I have to have a seperate disk to start Win XP in MS DOS all kind of scarey.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Do I really need to mess about with the Bios on my machine to correct this annoying refresh rate problem. The motherboard is a Microstar and the BIOs is Award BIOS dated 22nd 1st 03.

citadel 22:08 25 Oct 06

I would not touch the bios. borrow another monitor and see if it works ok. the new card is better than the old one.

Alf58 22:13 25 Oct 06

My monitor worked fine with the old card. I have changed all the settings to no avail: whhatever colour depth or resolution I set, I still get the flickering screen.

Stuartli 22:59 25 Oct 06

Try removing and reseating the graphics card and check that the monitor cable is firmly fitted at both ends.

If you to the Desktop>right click>Properties>Advanced tab>Adapter tab>List All Modes button all the colour/resolution/refresh rates the card will support will be listed.

A refresh rate of 85MHz is normally sufficient to prevent flicker for the majority of users.

I have the same graphics card and use it with a 21in monitor - it works well even though it's fairly basic these days.

I also only use the ATi driver and, in place of the Catalyst software, the very compact and equally efficient ATi Tray Tools. See:

click here

Alf58 23:08 25 Oct 06

I have tried 85khz plus various other resolutions with no success. My monitor is a 15" Proview CTR. I have checkled the seating and the cables.I have investigated the settings in the utilities supplied with the card to no avail.n The manual is frankly pathetic. I know I didnt pay much for the card but I was at least expecting to work properly. The ATI customer support website is down. You get through to the AMD website but that isnt much use.

Stuartli 23:19 25 Oct 06

The graphics card could be faulty - I've had to change a Radeon card in the past...:-)

Stuartli 23:20 25 Oct 06

It was an ATi branded model as well. Current one is a Sparkle.

Totally-braindead 23:55 25 Oct 06

I would check and see what driver the monitor is using. It might not be the graphics card at all it might be some problem with the monitor driver. Just a suggestion.

Alf58 00:33 26 Oct 06

The monitor does not have a driver according to system information. Apparantly it does not need one.

I'm going to reseat the card one more time if that fails I must conclude the card is faulty. I got it from Dabs (it arrived today). Am I responsible for the cost of sending it back?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…