New graphics card, now PC won't boot up at all

cyberphobic 17:43 08 Jul 07

My PC has a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 mobo with an Athlon 3200, IGB RAM with 2 SATA HDDs - an 80GB with XP Pro and a 200 GB with Vista Ultimate. The intention is to dual boot and I have just fitted an nVIDIA GF FX5500 256MB graphics card which is Vista compatible. It came with no software which I was intending to download, so when the desktop came up, the resolution was very low (800 x 600)and as I moved the slider to the right the display disappeared. I rebooted but still no display, I refitted the original graphics card but still no display. I then removed the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS - still no display, and now I'm getting all sorts of questions on boot up about RAID and arrays which I don't understand . How could something so simple have resulted in all this? Would appreciate some suggestions to help me restore my PC to norml working order.

citadel 18:32 08 Jul 07

you should have downloaded the driver for the new card first and saved it to desktop, then installed it whe the new hardware found wizard started. if you deleted the old cards driver you will need to reinstall it for it to work.

cyberphobic 18:37 08 Jul 07

citadel, appreciate that you may well be right, I was relying on the new hardwate wizard to do that for me automatically. However,I didn't delete the drivers for the old graphics card, so that doesn't explain why it won't work now.

citadel 18:56 08 Jul 07

have a look in device manager and see if there is a yellow mark at the graphics card. or click update driver and windows should find the driver as you have not deleted it.

ICF 19:14 08 Jul 07

Boot into safe mode and reset the display

woodchip 20:04 08 Jul 07

If the Chipset on the Motherboard is Via, it may conflict with NVIDIA cards

cyberphobic 20:44 08 Jul 07

Thanks for your suggestions, don't think I've made myself very clear -I cannot get the machine to boot into Windows, so neither device manager or safe mode help. When the machine boots, I get a nessage saying pres Control G to enter setup utility and then press S to continue booting enter Control S or F4 to enter RAID utility, then verifying DMI pool data then Boot from CD then Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and press enter
Think this is much more about SATA than graphics cards

Totally-braindead 20:49 08 Jul 07

Only two things I can think of, if you have been in the BIOS you may have inadvertantly enabled the RAID or something else, hence it asking for a driver or you might have knocked one of the cables, the SATA ones I mean when you were in the PC.

cyberphobic 20:53 08 Jul 07

I must confess my total ignorance of RAID, SATA, stripes, mirrors and arrays etc. The PC was set for me by a local PC shop and has worked fine for 3 years, what should/should not be enabled re the above

Joe R 20:55 08 Jul 07

cyberphobic,

does the new card require another PCI power cable.

cyberphobic 20:55 08 Jul 07

One other thing probably worth mentioning is that if I try to boot from thr Vista disk I get a brief blue screen, before boot up fails

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now