New Graphics Card - Games Crash

Keith C 23:08 02 Mar 06

I recently upgraded my graphics card to an ATI Radeon x850xt. I have a bigger power supply than it requires, I have an Athlon XP2800 on Windows XP, 512 PC2700 ram. I installed the new graphics card the other day along with the new drivers after I had removed all the old drivers from my system. After a few minor resolution issues it sorted itself out and the games look amazing. However, today I haven't been able to play any of my games for more than 5 minutes without windows crashing and restarting itself. These games have all been working on the new card, and were all previously installed. Could this be a RAM issue? Should I re-install all my games? Should I un-install and re-install the new graphics card's drivers? Is Windows unstable? If anyone has experienced this problem or has any ideas what it could be I'd appreciate some help! Thanks.

007al 23:12 02 Mar 06

Check the temperature of the card,it could be overheating.open your case to check the fan is running ok.

Keith C 00:25 03 Mar 06

The temperature is fine. I turned it all off then loaded one of the games from cold with the case off but still the same problem =/

phono 00:30 03 Mar 06

Have you tried some older drivers? It works sometimes, believe it or not.

ACOLYTE 00:32 03 Mar 06

You could try turning off the auto restart part of windows by right clicking my computer/properties/advanced and click the last settings box then in the system failure part untick automatically resart.Next time windows has the error it will display a screen with the error on it and it may give you a better idea of the problem,it may be a driver issue so this may tell you.You will have to reboot windows manually after though,then you can turn the option back on.

Stuartli 09:07 03 Mar 06

You say that you have removed all the old drivers.

However, this is not always the case. Try the tips at this excellent link (part of a section of very well written guides) and also use Drive Cleaner Pro (it's free) afterwards:

click here

Although it refers to nVidia drivers, the advice applies to ATi as well (there's also an ATi guide which is very interesting):

click here

citadel 14:55 03 Mar 06

if you get an error screen use the option to report to microsoft, this gives you an idea of the problem. In my case it was a driver fault that was cured by installing a different graphic driver.

Keith C 23:38 03 Mar 06

well so far I've tried 2 different drivers and it still crashes. I increased the RAM speed in the BIOS and the games ran for longer without crashing but still crashed eventually. So tomorrow I'm going to buy more RAM which will be a faster type and see if this cures the problem.

gudgulf 09:50 04 Mar 06

Have you inserted the extra 4 pin molex connector from the psu to the back of the graphics card?

Having only 512MB of RAM should not cause games to crash........but it's possible the memory stick was disturbed when fitting the graphics card.

Remove and firmly reseat the memory, and whilst you are at it make sure the graphics card is securely pushed down in its slot (and secured by the sliding tab at the back of the slot).

007al 13:55 04 Mar 06

With reference to gudgulf`s post,read this click here

Keith C 21:40 04 Mar 06

I think you're right, I've decided it's not the RAM. I checked it was in properly as well. I've eliminated everything apart from the actual graphics card so I've decided to send it back for testing, if it has a fault they will replace it, if not they'll just send me it back. If I still then have a problem I'll look into getting a new hard drive and buying Windows XP and starting again. Thanks for all your help everyone,hopefully I will sort it out one way or another!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac