New graphics card?

ordep 06:40 25 Feb 03

Thinking of a new graphics card, how can I tell if it will be compatible with my existing mobo...

Sore I've seen this question before, so apologies for repeating it...

powerless 07:10 25 Feb 03

What motherboard do you have and what graphics card do you have in mind?

If you do not know your motherboard click here and this will tell you.

ordep 13:32 25 Feb 03

Hi Powerless.

ASUSTeK A7A276-E REV1.xx

Thinking about ATI 9700pro

powerless 18:14 25 Feb 03

The ATI Radeon 9700 pro requires at least a 300 Watt Power supply unit. Thats the first thing you need to check that you have. Anything less than 300 then your asking for trouble. click here

The only way to check this is to take of one side of the base unit and take a peek at the Power supply unit.

Look for something like "Power Output" or something similiar...

If it states 300 then great if not consider beefing up the power to 350+ Watts.

The power supply unit is a big thing in one corner of the base unit with lots of wires coming from it.

Now you say you have an "ASUSTeK A7A276-E" Motherboard well i think you mean the "ASUSTeK A7A266-E"... As the ASUSTeK "A7A276-E" does not exixst...

click here

If you take look at the specs on that board the maximum AGP speed is 4X. The card itself has the ability to run at 8X. Recent motherboards have an 8X AGP slot...

Is that a problem? Not really, It just means the card will not be able to run at 8X and it will default and run at 4X.

So yes you can have the 9700 in that board if you wish, i would doulbe check with ASUS (email, phone) to see if the 9700 can be popped in the board just to be on the safe side ;-)

ordep 19:08 25 Feb 03

Thanks very much Powerless for a very comprehensive
and informative answer.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…