New graphics card.

Angelus123 12:27 26 Jan 03

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new graphics card and saw this one on Novatechs site "Novatech GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB 8XAGP Graphics Card TV Out". I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this card or the 4200 in general.

Also my motherboard only supports 4x Agp so will the above card even work?

Thanks for you time.

Stuartli 12:59 26 Jan 03

As each type of GeForce graphics card uses the same chipset, it's the additional benefits such as price and provided software that should tip the balance in favour of one manufacturer or another.

I would presume that the card would be future proof to some extent even if you can't use the full benefits at present.

Gongoozler 13:07 26 Jan 03

Angelus123, as your motherboard supports only 4x AGP, that is the speed the AGP bus will work at with the new card. They will still be compatible. My Abit KT7A motherboard with a GeForce 2 MX400 card gives shut down problems in Windows 98se unless I set the AGP to 1x. It still works ok though.

two00lbwaster 13:21 26 Jan 03

angelus123, i would suggest you go for the radeon 9500 128mb from the same site. it has better future proofing than the 4200 ti in the form of directx 9 and theres always the possibility that you can mod it with software to the equivilent of a radeon 9700 look at the site below

click here

if you want a hand with it i have a much simpler way of modding the software just give me a mail and i'll respond fairly quickly

thats if you decide to go that route of course(my current results with the card discussed are 1 sucsses and 1 failure but the cards is trashed, as its not even stable as a radeon 9500)

Hitman codename 47 13:56 26 Jan 03

because then geforce 5 (also called nv30 and geforce FX) comes out. Thus all prices will drop and competition in the graphics card field will try and out do each other causing very reasonable prices.

click here

are having a sale at the moment and you can buy (from the shop) a creative ti4600 for £205 .

But if u really have to get one right now do get the radeon just cos of direct x9 and AGP x8 etc.

Angelus123 20:49 26 Jan 03

Thanks very much to those who responded. I will have to way up the options.

I dont think I can wait till March, though prices do seem quite reasonable now.

Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…