New graphics card and 2D video score at PCPitstop?

dagwoood 18:56 30 Jul 04

I've recently upgraded my graphics card from a Radeon 9200SE 64MB to a Sapphire Atlantis 9600 256MB.

I've run the tests at PCpitstop to see how it compares to my old system configuration, and was amazed to find that my video score is the same as my old card! According to the system comparison at the pit, the average score for cards with Radeon 9600 chip sets is 127 and I'm getting a score of only 83.

The only other benchmark test I can run is using 3DMark 2001(I know this is for DirectX 8 cards but it gives me some idea way of comparing my old card to my new one). My old score was about the 4900 mark but with my new one it's at the 9300+ mark. So there is some improvement in my 3D performance.

I've installed the latest catalyst drivers, my system is XP Pro, Athlon xp 2400+, RAM - 1 stick 512MB PC2100 and 1 stick 256MB PC2700, mobo is a PCchips 851LU, Maxtor DiamondMax +8 80GB H/D.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what to check in my config to explain the low 2D video score at the pit? Is my current 3D score low?

The only issue I've found is when I run FreshDiagnose and look at the info.it provides with regards to my AGP buss, it says that the "Maximum command queue length" the buss supports is 256 bytes but the current queue length is set at 32 bytes. Is this correct value for my new card?

FreshDiagnose also says that the AGP buss is AGP enabled but no AGP speed has been selected, which doesn't make sense as the speed is set at x8 in the display > advanced control panel.

Hope this makes sense to someone else :-)

Any advice would be welcome(even if it's to say I'm an idiot, what you worrying for!!).

Cheers, dagwoood.

dagwoood 21:55 30 Jul 04

^

smartdave 01:14 31 Jul 04

Do you have strange colour all over your face? IS your real name Peter Deluise? Anyway I do not know the solution to your prob, but I'll give you a fiver for your old card!

dagwoood 02:00 31 Jul 04

I'm NOT Peter Deluise and my face isn't a strange colour.

Keeping my 9200SE(it's not six months old)as a backup. Sorry.

dagwoood.

hugh-265156 02:16 31 Jul 04

forget pcpitstop and benchmarks findings (honestly) :-)

does windows look nice to your eyes and do your games play smoother compared to the 9200? if so then all is well. choose a resolution your eyes are comfortable with and then the highest refresh rate your monitor supports at that resolution. [email protected] is supported by most 17' monitors for example.

check in your bios and set 'agp aperture size' to 128 or 256, this may fix the fresh diagnose report but will not do anything for performance.

9000 - 10000 is an ok score in 3dmark 2001se for the 9600 card. it will also depend quite a bit on your processor and amount of ram installed. just play your games and enjoy!

jonnytub 02:25 31 Jul 04

hi huggy, posting in a couple of minutes, watch for it!

Chegs ® 02:36 31 Jul 04

I can see your point in trying to compare the new card v's the old(I did to)I also agree with huggy71,if the card works for YOU,whats the point in trying to gain higher scores.The scores at 3DMark are with high quality cards(Genuine ATI/NVidia brands)not "budget" rebranded cards.I had a GF2,I upgraded it to a TI4600,ran those tests (3DMark/PCPitstop)and was disgusted that it didn't annialate the GF2's score.I then was fortunate to spot a Ti4800(WinFast)going cheap,so bought it.On default settings it made the Ti4600 score look silly.I still have my GF2,its in my linux PC,the Ti4600 I passed onto my daughters PC and I rue the day I paid out £130 then £200,and console myself with the thought I saved £100+ when I bought the Ti4800. :-(

dagwoood 03:43 31 Jul 04

Thanks for the advice guys.

I know that benchmarks aren't the be all and end all, it's just that I was concerned that the scores I am getting were indicative of a configuration problem, maybe something I had overlooked(or something I didn't know about that I should have done)when I installed the new card/drivers.

There is a big improvement graphically when compared to the 9200SE. The texture and lighting effects certainly make a big difference to the look of games and they play a lot smoother.

The resolution setting of [email protected] that you suggested huggyg71 is what I'm using, but as to setting the AGP apperture to 128MB or 256MB, this doesn't have any effect on the FreshDiagnose reading(I found that setting the AGP apperture at 64MB gave me better benchmark scores).

As to my score on 3DMark2001(N.B.not the se version), I realised I hadn't been running the tests on the default settings and my score is only 8100.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…