new graphics card

biscuitboy 12:06 21 Jul 07

i was playing a game the other day and my graphics card went and died on me so now im stuck with a 2mb one. whats teh best card for me to get?
i have a AMD Athlon 64 processor and 1gb ram. my old card i think was a 256mb ati r96? not entirely sure, but was capable of playing games like oblivian or near to/top settings. whats the best card to get for about £100(max)? ive tried places like ebuyer and the best i have found so far is the sapphire radeon x1650pro 256 but i dont actually know what to look for in a graphics card. any help would be much appreciated

umbongo(uk) 12:19 21 Jul 07

click here

this will give you the very last high end gaming for the agp slot

Totally-braindead 12:24 21 Jul 07

The link umbongo(uk) gives is to what is probably one of the best AGP cards out there and its a good price too. One word of warning, check what your power supply is rated at in watts, there will be a label on it somewhere and you might need to replace the power supply as well if you upgrade to this card - depending on what you have.

umbongo(uk) 12:34 21 Jul 07

lol srry braindead i forgot to add that bit was eating a chocolate bun :)

what braindead says check you power supply to see if it will run the card as it needs a/extra power lead/

DJfree33 12:39 21 Jul 07

Im running windows xp on a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+ with a MSI K8MM-ILSR motherboard, and my current graphics card a RADEON 9800 SERIES 256mb, would the graphics card recommended (HIS X1950Pro 256MB ) work with that set up, have agp slot.

Totally-braindead 12:50 21 Jul 07

DJfree33 better to start your own thread as biscuitboy will get an email everytime someone types in here.
But to answer your question yes, it will work but you have the same problem biscuitboy has, it requires a stable fairly powerful power supply, and if you don't have that it would need replaced as well. The 9800 Pro was good in its time but the Radeon X1950 Pro is way beyond that, but then its been quite a few years.
IF you are keeping that PC for a while its a good investment BUT you have to consider that if you get a new PC it will have a PCI Express slot so you won't be able to use the AGP card if you buy a new PC - mind you could sell it second hand later. It depends on whether you're keeping the PC you have now for a while or not.

biscuitboy 12:58 21 Jul 07

hey thanks for the advice the card is looking very promising but im having a problem finding what power supply i have im so useless with computers

Totally-braindead 13:00 21 Jul 07

You have to take the case sides off. The power supply is the box at the rear where the power leads plugs in and there will be a label on it. You're looking for the wattage.

DJfree33 13:01 21 Jul 07

justed wanted to say sorry biscuitboy for using your thread, am having problems with mty pc display to, i thought the graphics card looks good and at a good price, unsure to on power requirments

biscuitboy 13:02 21 Jul 07

oooo. found it, it has a total output of 400watts

Totally-braindead 13:07 21 Jul 07

Just had a look at the power supply requirements for this card and its high. Minimum 450 watts BUT for that to work it must be a good make branded one capable of sustaining 30 amps on the 12 volt rail. You don't need to know what this is guys just suffice to say a cheap unbranded power supply would really struggle to provide this.
I doubt either of you will have a power supply more powerful than 400 watts unless it was custom built. A 550 watt one is recommended, just to be safe.
On the plus side, a decent power supply can be kept and used again on your next PC so its not a waste, decent branded ones come in about the £50 mark.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…