new graphics card....!

siouxah1 14:50 28 Feb 04

My friend has been looking at purchasing a new graphics card, he seems to have narrowed it down to a card that either has;
geforce fx5900
or
geforce fx5900 ultra

the reason I am asking this is, does anybody have knowledge and use of the two cards and what advantages?

being nearly £120 difference, he is not sure if the near double value cost we be a worthwile price to pay.

Mankster 14:55 28 Feb 04

It depends on what he is using his PC for? like gaming?

siouxah1 14:59 28 Feb 04

yes he plays games but he doesn't just use his PC for that.

he also does video editing and other such stuff.

the reason he is looking at the ultra, is possible future proofing to some degree.

TOPCAT® 15:16 28 Feb 04

to be found on the Web. Here's the conclusion of just one click here=

It is possible to convert the fx5900 to the Ultra with a free 'Flash Mod', but I would be very nervous of doing this. Have a looksee here if you are brave enough! TC.

click here=

TOPCAT® 15:18 28 Feb 04
  siouxah1 15:47 28 Feb 04

thanks topcat

i will pass these links on

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:41 28 Feb 04

Radeon 9800pro are really good cards and you can now get them for a mere £160....click here
The fx5900ultra is probably a better card but i think (that is think) the 9800pro is better than the standard fx5900. Look around on the web to find some reviews of each card.

siouxah1 22:56 28 Feb 04

Thanks everyone for help given.

It was decided that, after perusal of some graphs showing not a lot of difference between standard and ultra, that the extra £120 was not in line with additional capability.

The standard was purchased.

Brian j

The Sack 01:39 29 Feb 04

You do not even have to convert it, just enable coolbits.

click here thats my 135 quid gainward FX5900 running faster than a GF FX5950 Ultra with not a single mod or flash in sight

click here to see where i got mine from

The Sack 01:42 29 Feb 04

Wrong link sorry, Dont buy the XT one :-D

click here

siouxah1 19:21 29 Feb 04

The Sack,

thanks for that info. Seems to confirm my thoughts.

Regards Brian j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…