New GPU Not Responding

Crazygeorge3 11:39 05 Jan 08

Hello,
Today i got my new GPU through the post, my Geforce 8600GTS. I put it in and wired everything up. My pc turns on fine, and i can hear the sound of everything loading but my monitor does no seem to respond, it just keeps flashing. I am using a VGA adapter if it helps. What could be the problem?
Cheers

User-1159794 12:38 05 Jan 08

Try the simple stuff first, remove and re seat your card,have you plugged in the power supply and most importantly is your power supply enough to handle the extra load.
These cards are power hungry and its all to easy to forget the psu when upgrading components.

Crazygeorge3 13:32 05 Jan 08

I have taken the card out and put it back in. You have to plug in a power supply? i have a PCI Express power connector however there is no input on the card. The only input i can see on the card is a small white two pin. What other connectors are there?. The fan moves on the card though
Thanks for the assistance

Crazygeorge3 13:33 05 Jan 08

oh just to add i have a 750w with dual 12V rail, so its more than sufficient for the card

User-1159794 09:26 06 Jan 08

What is the make of your card?

harps1h 12:11 06 Jan 08

a lot of times with these new cards there is a need to provide power through a 6 pin connector. have you looked at the documentation to see if there is one situated on the card?

afaik the gt has no connecter the gts has 1x 6 pin power connecter.

its the black square on the back edge click here

AndySD 12:41 06 Jan 08

Some motherboards have an aditional power conector for high end cards as well

100andthirty 15:26 06 Jan 08

Dear Crazygeorge

Is this board intended to replace an older board or does it replace on-motherboard graphics? If the latter, does the monitor work if you plug the monitor into the motherboard socket?

If it does toy need to disable on-board graphics in the BIOS

Crazygeorge3 16:56 06 Jan 08

Problem solved!. Heres what had happened:
I removed my old geforce 7300 card from my pc, and put in the 8600gts. The reason it was not working was because my pc started using internal graphics, as it did not recognise the new geforce card. My computer manufacturer had put a black seal over the vga input for my internal graphics for some reason, so i removed the seal, plugged my monitor into internal graphics, and then made PCI-E my default card and it worked fine.
Thanks for the assistance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…