New Found Hardware Problem

Alan Ryan 15:10 06 Nov 04

Immediately after booting up I get the New Found Hardware Wizard on the screen informing me that its detected a cable modem and to follow the
procedure for connecting it. This modem has been
connected for the last 2 years - so why am I getting this message ? If I reboot, the modem
usually connects in the regular way. Any advice
on what's causing this problem and how to get rid of it please ? (I'm using XP Home).

Diodorus Siculus 15:12 06 Nov 04

What happens if you let the wizard run as it should? That often works...

sputnick 15:19 06 Nov 04

Try going into Control Panel / Phones and modems, or modems if win 98. Remove all references and reboot and let New Hardware Wizard run.It should just find the current driver.

Alan Ryan 15:20 06 Nov 04

I haven't tried that option - figuring that since I know the modem is already connected I might cause a difficulty from which I can't recover if I try to duplicate the connection. I know from experience that the problem
disppears temporarily if I reboot.

Alan Ryan 15:21 06 Nov 04

That sounds an ingenious solution: I'll try it and hope that I'm still able to return online so you can hear what happened.

woodchip 15:22 06 Nov 04

As above if you remove the Modem in Control Panel then restart your computer it will then install one modem only

Alan Ryan 15:25 06 Nov 04

Alan Ryan 15:34 06 Nov 04

Just been into Phone & Modem Options (in Control Panel) and here's a weird thing - there's NO modem listed. I can find it in Device Manager
and it reports the device operating properly etc. Am I on to something here or up a dead end ?

Stuartli 15:40 06 Nov 04

Have you checked in Device Manager that the modem's Properties General tab has the modem as Enable this Device from the drop down menu?

Stuartli 15:42 06 Nov 04

You can also check the modem's diagnostics, Port speed (115000 for 56k dialup), Advanced settings etc at the same time.

woodchip 15:42 06 Nov 04

Then remove it from Device Manager and Restart and follow the wizard when it restarts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…