New Folders appeared under Docs & Settings

BBez 23:29 23 Aug 03

Running win 2000 pro, inside the documents and settings folder my "all users" folder has renamed itself to "all users.WINNT", and a new "default user.WINNT" has appeared as well as the existing "default user" folder. Both DUsers are hidden. The PC appears to be running fine but i am curious as to what has caused this. Any suggestions thanks in advance...

whybe 00:54 24 Aug 03

BBez, I have got a similar thing in XP. Mine appeared after the OS had to be reinstalled, on the same drive unpartioned to allow the transfer of files. Instead of ...Windows.. I have WinXP which was the name given to the, to be replacement OS. But it has left what appear to be duplications and these extra WinXP files. As you say they don't seem to make much difference and I'm loath to delete them.

BBez 05:04 24 Aug 03

See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q242258.

This happens when you install Windows 2000 on a machine that already has a "[ROOT]:\Documents and Settings\Default User" directory.

A similar issue happens with multiple users having the same username. The SID of the user and/or computer is stored in the new profile ("Documents and Settings") directory of the Windows 2000 machine. If the SID doesn't match
(or doesn't exist?) the profile is created with a new unique naming structure.

Also see KB article Q228445 (summarized below)
.WINNT happens with the "Default User" and "All Users" directories.

.DOMAINNAME if the same named user is from a domain

.MACHINENAME if the same named user is on the local machine

.000 if the same named user is created on the same domain/machine but has a different SID (if the account were deleted and re-created would be the most common occurrance).

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…