New folder.exe virus

prb 20:35 11 Apr 08

Ok I know I was doing something stupid, but I was runnng a standlaone PC (and with no internet connection) without virus protection. Through plugging in a USB memnory stick I caght the new folder.exe virus... I have now installed and run a completely up to date copy of AVG, this shows it to have removed the virus, but I am suspicious that it is still there since I am unable to access either Task Manager, or the registry.

Is the virus gone, or do I need to do something else?

Thanks

mrwoowoo 20:52 11 Apr 08

Sometimes they can hold up in system restore.
You will need to turn it off(which will delete all your restore points) and re scan with AVG.
After the scan you can turn it back on.
If you need to restore to a previous time do it before taking these actions.
to turn off System Restore
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click to select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.
5. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore:
You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.

Do you want to turn off System Restore?
After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Steps to turn on System Restore
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.

mrwoowoo 20:54 11 Apr 08

If this makes no difference,i would suggest doing a scan with a registry cleaner such as ccleaner which is free.

Sea Urchin 21:33 11 Apr 08
  prb 14:31 13 Apr 08

Thanks for all your suggestions, have tried everything suggested, and various nasties were found in the process Computer seems to be running fine - but I still can't get into either task manager, or regedit, I just get a message to say it has been disabled by the administrator... interesting when there is only 1 log on for the computer with complete admin rights. Should I be concerned that there is still something lurking?

Thanks

Sea Urchin 15:18 13 Apr 08

Looks like you still have the problem - a couple more removal tools to download and run in safe mode

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…