New folder on C: drive?!?!

Fateful Thankful Shadow 17:40 01 Aug 03

I was looking at my computer in depth today and I found that I have got a file in there which has a name consisting of loads of numbers and letters, all mixed up. When I enter the file, I see a setup icon with "Windows XP sevice pack 1" next to it, and 3 files:

-Common

-SP1

-SP2

Where did this come from...I prsume it's a Windows Update thing. The thing is, when I go into the "My computer" properties, it says that I have Windows XP SP1.

What should i do...install or discard?

Ironman556 22:55 01 Aug 03

I'd leave it there, it may just be an installer for the win update, but it may also have info for uninstalle, or to say what you've already installed.

D-P-R 02:33 02 Aug 03

I think it is from when service pack 1 was installed as it gives you the option to backup the files it will replace so if it went bad after the install you would be able to uninstall it, I may be wrong but thats what it may be. Have a look in add/remove to see if there is an option to uninstall service pack 1

crx1600 03:01 02 Aug 03

"Three folders are created when you install Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows XP and archive the files that are necessary to remove Windows XP SP1" from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…