New firmware has altered start up

LAPTOPBABE 20:46 03 Dec 06

I updates the firmware on my netgear wg511v2 network card as i wanted the added bonus of being able to use different profiles for different places i go with my laptop. As far as that is ok it is fine and working normally. But when I came to turn off my computer, a box, which has never appeared before came up with a different way of shutting down which I feel is not as quick as before. Also when I turn the laptop on I now get a password screen, which although you only have to click ok and off you go, it is asking for a password all of a sudden. I thought it was the windows updates i had done at the same time, but I uninstalled them and it is still like it and so it must be this firmware. How can this be, Any ideas? Nothing on the netgear support to help me.

Willfixit 21:49 03 Dec 06

Hi go to start - control panel - user accounts - change the way users log on and off - tick the boxes - use the welcome screen and use fast user switching apply the options then re-start your PC that should do the trick

LAPTOPBABE 22:23 03 Dec 06

I did what you suggested and it came up with a box to say a recently installed programme has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching etc etc. The following file name might help you find out the programme so you can uninstall it. What though if i don't want too, there must ba another way. Any ideas? The file is mrvGINA.dll

De Marcus™ 22:49 03 Dec 06

This sounds like a service pack 2 feature, if you really don't want a login screen and your an admin level account user go to start, run and type in the following:

control userpasswords2

Single click on your username so it's highlighted, untick the the 'user must enter a username and password, etc' box and click ok. Reboot.

LAPTOPBABE 23:08 03 Dec 06

Hi
yeh that got rid of the password screen but i have still lost the welcome screen which means the rest of the house can't log on to their own accounts. It is still saying it is not possible whilst the programme causing that file is there. So what next, any ideas please?

Ashrich 23:16 03 Dec 06

Hello Laptop Babe , click here for a workaround , if you are confident of a bit of registry altering , the problem is , as you thought , a Netgear problem with the updated driver , a problem which they claim doesn't exist ....

Ashley

LAPTOPBABE 09:49 04 Dec 06

Hi
I actually had already discovered the registry change by putting this file in as a search late last night on AOL while I waited to see if more help came. The site is click here
Netgear should be pointing this out to people instead of denying everything!
I did it and its now all fine, thanks so much for all the help, this forum is brill and has helped me soooooo much in the past. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…