new fire wall

chippy+ 09:08 27 Jan 06

hi i have just reformated my pc wxp and i have installed nod anti virus which it think is very good i would like to try a new fire wall to go with it any ideas thanks chippy. ps anyboady tried out avg firewall and antivirus

spuds 10:07 27 Jan 06

ZoneAlarm click here But make sure that you have disabled Microsoft'S firewall, if installed.

Totally-braindead 10:36 27 Jan 06

chippy+ you mention AVG firewall and anti virus and you also say you are using NOD, be sure that if you have 2 antivirus programs on your PC that they are not both working at the same time. If they are both on at the same time you will have no end of problems. Personally like Zone Alarm.

bluto1 11:19 27 Jan 06

Spud
I`ve got ZA and M/S firewalls. I`ve not disabled M/S and there doesn`t seem to be any conflict. ZA kept coming up with messages about some things trying to access my computer but as I understand it that happens during it`s "learning" period. Let us know if there is known conflict please.
chippy+, Sorry to have used your post, I felt it could help you too.

Totally-braindead 11:27 27 Jan 06

bluto1 although it might have worked in your case it is not recommended as it can cause a great deal of problems. If it works with you then fine carry on as you are but I wouldn't recommend it for most people as they might not be so lucky.

chippy+ 13:54 27 Jan 06

hi thanks to all who replied Totatally braindead sorry i ment to say in place of or with i realize that no 2 firewalls or antivirus should be installed a together i heard of avg bringing out the antivirus/firewall and was interested to know how good it was thanks chippy

spuds 16:06 27 Jan 06

The anti-virus programmes shouldn't interfere with the firewall. The same applies to things like AdAware and SpyBot type of safeguards.

bluto1 19:19 27 Jan 06

Totally-braindead,
I`ll take your advice and disable the MS firewall. Thanks for coming back on that one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5