New Fan required for AV7400-MX

mikeystipe 15:45 29 Aug 09

I'm looking for info on replacing a "noisy" fan on an a PC with an ASUS A7V400-MX Motherboard.

I think it's using an ATHLON AMD XP CPU but not sure - can check if this is significant.

In a nutshell my question is : Can I just replace the fan or will i need to replace the heatsink also?

Is this a fairly straighforward preocedure?

Can anybody suggest a suitable replacement fan (or fan/heatsink) for the above?

Thanks in advance
Mike

crosstrainer 15:54 29 Aug 09

Will need to know what cpu it is, but:

click here

Have most stuff, and if in doubt you can ring them :)))

GaT7 16:47 29 Aug 09

'Can I just replace the fan or will i need to replace the heatsink also?'

Depends on the type, size & method the fan is fixed to the heatsink. What's the size of the fan & is it just screwed on?

Otherwise a new HSF - e.g. Akasa AK-786 click here = £6.50 delivered (possibly cheaper than anywhere else). G

mikeystipe 20:01 13 Sep 09

Have been away so had no time to update.

The processor is an AMD Sempron 2400+
Socket A(462)

Will have a trawl on the web but as before any relevant info/recommendations are appreciated

Thanks, Mike

GaT7 20:43 13 Sep 09

Hi mikeystipe, my earlier suggestion still stands if the cause of the noise is indeed the CPU fan.

Other fans can include the case & graphics cards fans. The board has a passive NB cooler (click here), so it cannot be that. G

mikeystipe 21:28 14 Sep 09

Cheers Crossbow7 - Much appreciated

I can see from the link that it's appropriate for a Sempron CPU of socket A type so I'll go ahead and order one.

I'm sure it's the fan as one of the on the fan is absent - If I place a finger to apply some (light) pressure on the fan the noise stops.

Is it straight forward to remove the fan/cpu assembly from the CPU and am I likely to need to purchase some thermal paste?

Thanks again,
Mike

GaT7 17:11 15 Sep 09

'If I place a finger to apply some (light) pressure on the fan the noise stops.' - how I wish everyone who had a noisy fan/s would try that! It's simple & does the trick, doesn't it?!

Yes, it's fairly straightforward to remove & install a cooler.

From the product info: "Hi-performance thermal compound is pre-applied", so thermal paste won't be necessary. G

mikeystipe 20:04 15 Sep 09

Thanks a bunch Crossbow.

I'll let you know how I get on.

mikeystipe 22:18 01 Oct 09

Received the Akasa fan and heatsink. Installed and removed without problems.

PC working fine and it now doesn't sound as though there's a helicopter taking off every time I boot up the PC.

Thanks for the help
Mike

On a similar note my PC DVD drive is very noisy when it reads/plays a disk. Maybe I should start another posting.

mikeystipe 22:18 01 Oct 09

Received the Akasa fan and heatsink. Installed and removed without problems.

PC working fine and it now doesn't sound as though there's a helicopter taking off every time I boot up the PC.

Thanks for the help
Mike

On a similar note my PC DVD drive is very noisy when it reads/plays a disk. Maybe I should start another posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5