New external HD..help!

sorefingers 23:55 23 Jul 04

I have an external usb enclosure with a new HD..when I attached it via the usb port it went through the usual procedures and accepted it as a usb device, but never asked me for the cd which has the drivers.
Now when I view the properties, it tells me there is no free space (its a new 120gb hdd!).
Reading the piece of paper that came with the external case...it mentions that F word (FDISK) must be carried out if its a new hdd.!!!
Can someone please guide me through this operation.
I have set the hdd jumper to master as instructed in the manual (piece of paper!)
Running XP home 2.6ghz 512mb

Thanks in advance.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:10 24 Jul 04

Right click the drive and select 'format'. You may need to connect it a few times for it to appear.

G

sorefingers 00:12 24 Jul 04

Thanks gandalf...what happens with the Fdisking?

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:15 24 Jul 04

You do not need to fdisk...or at least you shouldn't if the disk is new. I assume the HD needs no OS and is just used for putting programmes on or storing information so yuo will not need a partition. You'll probably need to reboot a few times as well.

G

sorefingers 00:18 24 Jul 04

Thanks...will give it a go.........

sorefingers 01:59 24 Jul 04

...had to go to Maxtor website...Format did not appear...all ok now...(I hope!)
Thanks Gandalf!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…