New External HDD - which one?

Border View 11:10 AM 22 Sep 11

I have a relatively new desktop computer. It runs with W7 Home premium 64Bit. I would like to add an external hard drive for backup purposes. My current hdd is 500Gb.

Can you please recommend an external hard drive to purchase and use? Will I have to format it? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

northumbria61 11:19 AM 22 Sep 11

If you want/need capacity,preformatted, plug & play simplicity then this would be a good buy enter link description here

northumbria61 11:21 AM 22 Sep 11

Also - comes with a 2 yr warranty and read the reviews about it.

Border View 11:28 AM 22 Sep 11

Hi northumbria 61 - just been reading the reviews and it seems excellent. Coming very close to placing an order.

When I plug it in and use Windows backup, will it do a mirror image of my hard drive and thus my operating system too. I am just getting my head around W7 so am not quite sure.

northumbria61 11:42 AM 22 Sep 11

Simply plug it in to a USB and use Windows Backup - select Create a System Image - on a Hard Disk

Border View 11:57 AM 22 Sep 11

Many thanks Northumbria 61

You have answered all my queries

Border View 12:02 PM 10 Oct 11

Just an update. I bought the external hard drive mentioned above from E-buyer. Bonus was as a returning customer they gave me free next day delivery.

Have just completed a system image back up and created a repair disc using Windows 7. Painless. Thank you for your help northumbria61

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X