New external hard disc

mymate 16:36 06 Dec 06

I have a new external hard disc coming tomorrow.Can someone tell me what to do ! Or if there is a web page that tells me what to do,so i can print it out.
I have Acronis and partition manager
All i know is plug it in to the ub2 ,i can do that !
Thank you

Carafaraday 16:51 06 Dec 06

I put my old hard disk into an external hard drive caddy a few years ago. As far as I remember it the new pc instantly reognised it as another drive the moment it was plugged in and then you can treat it just as if it was a partitioned drive on the pc - drag and drop files, or copy them from one to the other.

mymate 17:02 06 Dec 06

Thanks Carafaraday, I been looking it up,and i think it comes with a book on what to do,and i think some kind of back up software. I see what in the box tomorrow . Cheers

Carafaraday 17:18 06 Dec 06

Good luck.

What kind of hard drive are you getting tomorrow? I'm thinking of getting another (bigger) one and would welcome any comments you have.

sheila.weston 17:43 06 Dec 06

I bought an LG external hard drive last month. I was expecting problems, but I plugged in the USB cable and also connected it to the power and hey presto. Fantastic. But read the manual first, just in case!
Sheila

mymate 18:11 06 Dec 06

Carafaraday,I bought this one

.click here
HD Ext Storage Barracuda 320GB USB2.0 RT
I had to buy a new computer,as i blew my other one up ! i had a internal hard drive waiting to be fitted on the broken one,but never got round to getting someone to fit it !

My brother found this one for me,i didnt pay for postage.So its taking the slow boat to China to get here.But paying out £80 is a small price,compared to paying for another computer !

Thanks sheila.weston

sean-278262 18:37 06 Dec 06

You realise if you plan on using this portable drive as a main drive it may not work with your computer. Installing a new drive is easy however.

click here

Read here.

mymate 18:44 06 Dec 06

Creature of the Nite.No iam not using it as a main drive,i am using it as a back up drive. Is that ok ?

Carafaraday 19:02 06 Dec 06

Thanks, mymate. Hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Technotiger 19:05 06 Dec 06

Hi, as external backup drive - Yes, and you already have what I believe to be the best backup program - Acronis True Image.

Cheers.

mymate 19:05 06 Dec 06

Carafaraday,Creature of the Nite has put the wind up me now ! i am hoping this new hard drive will work as a back up,otherwise i have 2 spare hard drives a internal and a external !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…