New external CD-RW not found on pc

Barnacarry 14:17 02 May 05

I have an internal CD-RW, which has packed up working after 5 years, so I have just purchased a new external CD-RW (Freecom) which installed itself and all software perfectly. When I restarted my computer it found my old RW, which I then uninstalled, but I can't find my new RW anywhere and even the drawer refuses to open. (although the little green light is on , bless it). I have XP home. All thoughts extremely welcomed.

john-232317 14:32 02 May 05

have you got USB2 ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:35 02 May 05

Unplug CD and replug into a different port, XP (I asume this is your Op system) should find new hardware and install drivers

Barnacarry 15:07 02 May 05

Sorry for the delay. I only have USB 1.1 but it worked perfectly when I installed it. Thank you, Fruit Bat /\0/\, but being a novice, where do I find a new port? (The jokes this end are unbearable!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:20 02 May 05

you should have at least 2 USB ports on the rear of the tower usually just below where the keyboard and mouse plug in.

[By the way Newport docks are in South Wales :0)]

Barnacarry 15:33 02 May 05

Thanks for the geography lesson and I do have only 2 ports, one for the printer and one for the RW. I shall now swap them around and see what happens. Thanks again for your help. I may be some time but I'll let you know.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 02 May 05

Printers and external hardrives are both heavy users of the USB 5V 500mA power.

I would suggest that you invest in a USB POWERED Hub to prevent further problems like PC freezing /crashing, It would also give you more ports [Liverpool, Hull :0)]for future equipment.

Barnacarry 16:29 02 May 05

Having swapped the ports, as suggested, the RW is working again. If only everything in life was this easy I know what I'd swap next - (at least she can't think of any SONGS with the word port in it).
I was thinking of buying a Belkin 4 hub thingy but as she has started to name the existing ports(in case I forget), and your comments aren't exactly helping, I may revue my situation. Happy Holiday and Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…