New to Excel, need simple starting help

Ray5776 18:42 06 Oct 06

Hi everyone,
I am trying to use Excel for the first time for many years. I can do the formulae etc but seem to be missing the basics like how to align the decimal point in a colomb or resize a cell.
Can anyone suggest a suitable source of info please
this is an old 2000 version and the integrated help is not very good.

Thanks Ray

Noldi 18:46 06 Oct 06

click here
try this one

Noldi

VoG II 18:48 06 Oct 06

click here should get you started.

To align a decimal, click on the column header (e.g. A) to select the column, Format > Cells, Select Number and choose the number of decimal places.

To resize a column click the divider between the column headers, keep the mouse button depressed and drag left or right. To autosize to fit double-click the divider. Similarly for row height.

Ray5776 19:32 06 Oct 06

Thanks Noldi,
that was my starting point, I have been using that and it is very useful.

Thanks Vog,
worked fine, so simple if you know, so hard if you dont. I will study your link, strangely I find the formulae and cross referencing relatively easy but fail to get to grips with the basics.
Trying to run before I can walk perhaps:)

Ray

Totally-braindead 19:38 06 Oct 06

As a suggestion Ray5776 have you consider getting a book out of the library and working through that?
For the absolute beginner can I recommend the Dummies guide this is not a personal comment I hope you realise its what its called - and all the Dummies books are excellent although if you work at it you can soon learn everything in them.

Heres the book I mean click here bit pricey better to borrow from the library I think.

Ray5776 19:55 06 Oct 06

Thanks braindead,
I may well buy a copy, I have used the Dummies books before and they are quite good although somewhat limited in their content.
I am not keen on libraries, by the time I remember to return the book the fine is usually more than the cost of buying it:)

Ray

Ray5776 20:44 06 Oct 06

I have ordered a copy so wont need to keep asking you all.
Just one question before I get the book,
How do I put a title above line 1 using the font size and style and colour of my choice.
Or putting it in line 1 will do if not possible to put it above as a title or header.
The best I can phrase it but does not read very well.

Ray

VoG II 20:46 06 Oct 06

Click in A1, Insert > Rows. Type what you like and format it as you like.

Ray5776 21:17 06 Oct 06

Thanks again Vog,
Worked fine, so simple once you know.
Hope the book covers all this sort of stuff.

ray

Ray5776 21:20 06 Oct 06

Vog,
the link is excellent, very useful.

Ray5776 19:29 08 Oct 06

Thanks to all for your guidance in getting me started.
I am very impressed with Excel,I managed to do the spreadsheet I needed with ease once pointed in the right direction.
Waiting for the Dummies book to arrive to see what else it can do.
Will tick as resolved now, thanks again.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…