New DVD Writer - Help!

xphile 18:44 24 Dec 04

Bought a new internal DVD+-R/RW (Samsung TS-H552).The drive came 'as it is' I.e.On it's own- No instructions or anything.I am new to the PC world & thought I would be brave & install my own. What a nightmare. Any help would be much appreciated,by way of advice,links etc. I take it I need screws & cable(s)???

Pamy 19:08 24 Dec 04

I assume that you have space in your computer tower to fit it?
It will have to be held in place by srews similar to your CD-rom. A power supply will have to be connected to it the same as your CD-rom. A Data cable will also have to be connected and may come from a spare connector on your CD-Rom data cable. Your new DVD writer will have to be changed to slave or better to make your CD-Rom slave and your DVD master in which case you will have to connect the DVD on the CD connector and connect your CD on the spare one, all assuming you have one. for more details other members will nead more details about your computer. Pamy

xphile 19:44 24 Dec 04

Ok. I have attached dvd writer to cable(0)this is the master right? Have connected cd writer to cable attached to this marked (1).I guess this is the slave? Have clicked in my computer & neither drive is shown??? I have some notes from a PC building site that mention IDE configuration pins to set? Where are these & are these for the removeable drives or just HDD???

Carl @ UD 20:50 24 Dec 04

On the back of both the CDRW and DVDRW are a set of pins with jumpers these need to be configured correctly.

Make the DVDRW Master and CD slave, it should be on the top of both which jumper goes where.

sicknote 20:53 24 Dec 04
  xphile 21:07 24 Dec 04

Ok.Didn't touch any jumpers,but switched the drives around & both seem to be working fine.Can anyone see any problems with this? Also, before I close this thread, just an addition - I have Windows Media Player, Nero 6 reloaded & Cyberlink Power DVD. My cd's automatically start in WMP & DVD's in Cyberlink. I know these must be set as defaults.Can I get my DVD's to automatically start in WMP also? If so how? & how can I save them to my videos?

Carl @ UD 21:12 24 Dec 04

IN My Computer right click on the Drive you wish to set and click autoplay this gives you options for type and what to open with.

If you want to save Commercial DVD`s to your computer or copy them this is more complex as the lagality of it is indistinct. Most commercial software does NOT allow you to do it. Howether there is software available that will. Please note backing up your own DVD`s for anyone other than yourself is illegal.

Carl @ UD 21:14 24 Dec 04

Arrrghh where`s the edit function for typo`s !

Legality !;-)

User-312386 21:22 24 Dec 04

if you want to save your dvd files use this click here

xphile 21:49 24 Dec 04

Thanks everyone - You're Brilliant.Think I'll leave the Hard drive installation for a couple of weeks though - give you a break. Merry Christmas! (will remove thread in a few min's).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5