New DVD R/rw not working

Peter56 16:44 19 Aug 04

Have just bought a Dvd[plus]-r/rw 8x int ide oem
from dabs.com and installed it in place of my cd rewriter however windows will not install it so i presume it requires a driver, anyone any idea which driver to download and use

bremner 16:46 19 Aug 04

You do not say which version of Windows.

If it is XP then you should not need any additional drivers.

I did exactly the same swap-over on my Win98SE PC with no problems - no drivers are needed.

Are you sure you have the jumper settings as per the drive you removed?

ventanas 16:58 19 Aug 04

98, ME, 2000 OR xp. No drivers needed. Just slot it in, connect the cables and reboot.

Possible reasons for failure. Jumper set wrongly. Cables the wrong way round. Faulty cable or power lead, or faulty drive.

As CoB Says, make sure the jumper is set exactly the same as the drive you removed. If you have another dvd or cd drive try swapping them (adjust the jumpers first). This should identify problem cables, or a faulty drive.

woodchip 17:14 19 Aug 04

As CoB check the jumper on the end of the drive if you have not changed it since buying it, It will more than likely be set to Master, Set it to Slave then retry the drive.

PS also the red trace wire in the ribbon cable goes toward the Power connector.

You need writing software loaded to use the drive to burn cd's

Peter56 05:04 20 Aug 04

Thanks everyone jumper set to master not slave now working fine cheers

bremner 08:01 20 Aug 04

You really should have the DVD RW as a master.

What else is it sharing the channel with?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…