new dvd rom installation probs

wmark 19:07 18 Jul 04

Have just bought new samsung dvd rom to add to dvd writer combo and one hard drive. Have tried installing as slave on both harddrive ide cable and combo ide cable with no luck. Computer boots then ignores all drives and asks for boot disk. I then unplug new dvd and all back to normal. Have tried setting to master on both still same. Hard drive primary master, combo secondary master.

Help appreciated

THE TERMINATOR 19:20 18 Jul 04

Have you tried putting the combo as slave on the primary HDD cable and the new drive as a single drive on it's own cable....TT

Night Ryder 19:30 18 Jul 04

I won't pretend to fully understand this but I've had this kind oproblem in the past and I found that changing one of the drives attached to the shared IDE interface to CS (cable select) solved the problem. You will have to experiment by settin one drive to CS at a time to find which configuration works. Goes with out saying leave the system disk as is, set to master.

wmark 14:54 19 Jul 04

Tried all the advice given, but still no luck. Itried several different combos with no luck. I am starting to wonder about the drive itself despite it being brand new from PC World(Samsung sd 616). Any more advice helpful.

Stuartli 14:59 19 Jul 04

Put both drives on the Secondary IDE cable - make the DVD-ROM the Slave and the rewriter the Master; enable DMA for both. Check all connections and leads for proper insertion and firmness.

The DVD-ROM drive, when installed, will only need the basic Windows CDROM driver and this will be installed when you connect up the drive and reboot.

Cable Select normally requires the correct cables and a mobo capable of handling the feature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…