New DVD Rewriter - what is SATA ?

Black.Star 13:21 12 Mar 07

Hi

I need to buy a new DVD rewriter to replace the rather noisy one in my PC (Compaq 2149, Vista Premium, E6400, 2 mb RAM, 320 GB HD).

I've seen a couple I like on Novatech, but I'm confused as to whether I need SATA or not - don't know what it is, whether my PC is compatable etc.

Don't want to make a bad, uninformed choice so would really appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks

Fingees 13:29 12 Mar 07

SATA is a serial ATA connection, it doesn't use the IDE conventional connectors as mostly used up to date.

So unless your motherboard has such a connector,you can't really use one.

Boards that hve SATA conectors, usually have sata raid which keeps a duplicate of all on a second drive if used in the raid mode.

You would obviously know therefore if your motherboard supported SATA.

Somebody else will give you a better outline, but, I hope this helps.

xania 13:29 12 Mar 07

There's lots on the Internet about SATA, but te base point is that if you don't already have a SATA device on your system, the likelihood is that your mobo does not support it. This link shows the comparative connections on your motherboard.

click here

If you have te correct connection on the mobo, you can get better speed from a SATA but otherwise stick to IDE. If in doub, let us know what mobo you have and we can check for you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 12 Mar 07

There is absolutely NO advatage to having a sata DVD drive as response time is limited by disk speed.[If your PC is over a yaer old get an IDE DVD drive.

wotbus@ 20:55 12 Mar 07

One advantage is the skinny connecting cable as opposed to the relatively huge IDE ribbon. This is only useful of course, in a tower where space is limited and airflow at a premium ;-)

wotbus@ 10:04 13 Mar 07

Maybe a bit of confusion here about the advantage of SATA (Serial) over IDE (Parallel) connections. Of course there is no "speed" gain in the device as Fruit Bat points out - the performance increase if it is to be found, is in the SATA cables ability to transfer data faster than IDE cable - much like USB1/1 AND USB2 and even faster Firewire. Anyone with USB2 ports and a USB2 device would see an immediate improvement if they changed the cable from USB1/1 to USB2. Remember though, a computer is only as fast as it's slowest component and this why compatibility is the real issue. If your mobo supports it my advice would be to move to SATA as it's the generation after IDE. And it looks better...;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced