New DVD drive not working

willy boy 19:34 22 Jan 07

I have purchased a Sony DVD drive AW-G170A to replace a dead Samsung dvd /cd combo drive in my Dell 2300 Dimension. The drive is recognised by my system as D: but will not read/play audio cd, cd-rom, or play dvd's. I also have a lite-on dvd drive (borrowed) that will perform all functions that the sony will not. If I rip music I have to do it from the Lite-on but this drive will not write to CD-R. The Sony drive will burn to the CD-R but then will not play the CD it has burned in media player! If I put the CD in the lite-on drive it plays properly as do DVD's. I am wondering if the drive is a dud and should I return it. I have tried fixes I found on the forum such as uninstalling and re-installing, removing filters from the registry as recommended, neither microsoft or Dell support seem to be able to offer anything.I am using media player 11 and and PowerDVD programs which as I say function perfectly in the Lite-on drive.
Any help would be appreciated before I return the drive to Dabs. I have both drives set to cable select.

howard64 19:41 22 Jan 07

try setting the drive as master and connect at the end of the ribbon cable.

SB23 19:43 22 Jan 07

Thats the one I replaced mine with. My problems were with the DMA settings. Just a thought.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 22 Jan 07

The Sony drive will burn to the CD-R but then will not play the CD it has burned

either read laser duff or electronics that align the laser are duff.

Send it back!

skidzy 19:47 22 Jan 07

Maybe as Sb23 try resetting the DMA settings click here

willy boy 20:11 22 Jan 07

Thanks guys, I have tried setting as master at end of cable, no change,I have checked DMA settings seemed ok but ran the down load anyway, after setting a restore point, still no change. As I have tried most things I think I shall now folow Fruit Bat advice and return.

Totally-braindead 20:33 22 Jan 07

If you have access to another PC you could try it on that but I agree it appears that the drive is more than likely faulty.

willy boy 13:10 23 Jan 07

Once again thanks to all, drive is on its way back to DABS

Stuartli 13:30 23 Jan 07

I have the same Sony rewriter - it's not missed a beat so far.

As per the advice given before, drop Cable Select (which normally requires a motherboard that supports it in any case) and set/rejumper the rewriter as the Master and any other drive as the Slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…